Water Leak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer information about water meters please?

My last quarterly bill was over double that of the previuos three months so I decided to look for any leaks. My water meter has a small black cog in the middle under the glass. I pressume that if this continues to go around when nobody in the house is using water, then it means that there is a leak somewhere. When I turn off the house stopcock, then the meter cog also stops going round. So the leak must be in the house somewhere. I have been unable to find any major leaks.

My question: How sensative is the little black meter cog? The movement of the little black cog reminds me of watching the second hand on an electric clock ticking over.

In terms of water loss, what would the movement represent?

Sponsored Links
If you have an internal stopcock then turn that off and if it is still going round then that means your leak is underground between your water meter and internal stopcock.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thank you, gentlemen. I have today found 2 taps leaking gently underneath a hand basin plus a weep under a radiator valve pipe. Now the little black cog remains stationary. It does indeed seem to be very sensative. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back