Provision for a water meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently asked our water company to fit a water meter. When they came I was told (rightly) that they couldn't do the work as my garden tap was not connected to the house stop cock.
They said I needed to find a contractor to re-route my garden tap supply into my garage in order that they could fit a meter in the supply to the tap.
Can anyone tell me what sort of connection I need to provide for the water company to fit a meter to my garden tap?
The supply is via the normal blue plastic piping, and I plan to route this into my garage, but I need to know how to terminate the supply for the water meter. Is is simply a standard 15mm copper pipe?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are they going to fit two meters then, one for the house and one for the garden tap ? I think what you need to do is ensure that your garden tap is fed from the house supply and is controlled by the same stop tap that shuts off the house. Regarding meter tails, in my experience of new supplies to my flats all it needed was the blue pipe extending beyond the boundary of my property (in a trench to the specified depth) and they take care of the rest on the pavement side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back