Having a water meter installed in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The water company had to fix a leak on the pipe just outside my boundary. They said they would fit a water meter on there while they were fixing the leak. They phoned me to say this had all been done.

Fast forward a few weeks and we get a big water bill. The water company admitted that - although the leak had been fixed - a meter had not been installed. So they sent their contractor out who said they should have installed the meter BEFORE they fixed the leak and put a PRV in. He said they would either have to dig everything out and start again OR he could fit a water meter on my side of the boundary.

Would this meter be underground level? (ie I dont want to have an ugly meter above ground in my garden)

Are there any disadvantages of having a meter on my side of the boundary. For example, if something goes wrong with it am I liable to get it fixed because its within my boundary?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Water meter will be below the ground with a top on the chamber at ground level, top will be around 7" diameter, can`t see why you would be liable to fix it but access to it will be needed.

Thanks JP. Im glad it will be below ground.

I'm thinking that - because Im liable for the water pipe on my boundary - if there is ever an issue with the meter then Ill be liable to pay for having it fixed (becuase ist within my boundary).

Ideally the water company would have communicated with their contractor and the job would have been done properly the first time! it.

Thanks JP. Im glad it will be below ground.

I'm thinking that - because Im liable for the water pipe on my boundary - if there is ever an issue with the meter then Ill be liable to pay for having it fixed (becuase ist within my boundary).

Ideally the water company would have communicated with their contractor and the job would have been done properly the first time! it.
The meter will always belong to them not you.

Sponsored Links
LOL.
The contractor didnt mention about fitting one in the house. He said these days they're all bluetooth. I took that as meaning they come round and take a meter reading using a bluetooth device.

LOL.
The contractor didnt mention about fitting one in the house. He said these days they're all bluetooth. I took that as meaning they come round and take a meter reading using a bluetooth device.
By somebody sitting outside your house without leaving the van most likely, time & motion and all that. :ROFLMAO:

Hi all,

The water company had to fix a leak on the pipe just outside my boundary. They said they would fit a water meter on there while they were fixing the leak. They phoned me to say this had all been done.

Fast forward a few weeks and we get a big water bill. The water company admitted that - although the leak had been fixed - a meter had not been installed. So they sent their contractor out who said they should have installed the meter BEFORE they fixed the leak and put a PRV in.

How did you get a "big" bill, if there was no meter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back