Is it a leak where meter is ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last several days dry sunny weather, this pool of water shouldn't be there ? Meter was changed recently, but I never paid attention to that spot as it was raining every day before.

When I open the lid the water level is 1 inch under the top, there is some white plastic box in the middle inside, but nothing that looks like display ?

Average daily usage 600 liters for a 4 bed, which I think is slightly higher than it should be ?

If it is the meter installation and it is outside house boundaries and leaking, assume it is for water company to fix it, any chance to get past usage recalculated in this scenario ?

Attachments

• 20240510_113408.jpg
    20240510_113408.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
Call the water company. If the meter was changed recently they have a duty to revisit to investigate

I’ve just been down this same road with Thames Water. Call and ask for someone to come and check your meter. Also, get a customer contact number from the call. You will need to be able to shut your stopcock during the investigation.
If the meter is ok but still shows a flow when you turn the house stopcock off then you should definitely insist on the dig team checking the water pipes at the meter for Leak / No leak.
Thames will no longer offer anything more If the leak is on Your property, except to say Fix or face a fine. If found not on your property ie in the street then after the leak has been fix by Thames you then need to fill in their Leak Fixed Form to say the leak has been fixed even if it’s fixed by Thames ( utterly stupid ) then you move onto the Leak allowance Form. You need to take 2 readings 15 days apart and wait for Thames to check and calculate your rebate. If the leak is on your property then it’s your responsibility to find & fix. Then fill the above forms. All in all mine took 3 months!! As a side note, I was told by Thames that a lot of Home insurance policies are not covering water leaks …. For anyone interested the Co Op do at this time.

Sponsored Links
I had similar some time ago. Anglian Water changed the meter and cracked the fitting it screwed into. Filled the chamber up and leaked out over the footpath and road.
Rang them up and complained, they did SFA, not even an apology. after a couple of months rang them again, this time they came out, had a look down the hole, told me the leak wasn't being recorded on the meter and did nothing else.

Third time, after they had contacted me for non-payment, which was after receipt of their bill and Red bill, I told them I'll pay the bill when you sort out the leak that I've been reporting on these dates. That did rather focus their minds - still took them a fortnight and also a visit from one of their meter readers / collection agents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back