Water Meter questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of our tenants wants a water meter. She arranged for it to be fitted via yorkshire water, they came as said they couldn't fit one because there wasn't enough room.

The supply comes up through the floor directly behind the washing machine and it must be too tight to the wall, or a cupboard.

Tenant is still going on about a wanting water meter. Her son is a plumber and he says it can be done no problem...

Question:

I wouldn't think yorkshire water would allow anyone other than their contractors to a fit a water meter? That said, the supply pipe to this house is owned by us. We own the whole row of houses and it's written into the deeds that we are responsible for the supply pipe to the row as it runs through the cellars of the houses.

Also, how do they actually install meters? Do they cut into the pipe after the stop stop and solder it on?

Sponsored Links
Anglian water fit internal and external meters. External are fitted into a standard stopvalve 'box', these can be grafted into the supply pipe at a suitable position. Internals are usually fitted after the stoptap on the rising main. Only needs short section of pipe to break into, I've seen them fitted at all angles! (Although with a rare concoction of bends and pipe to accomodate the meter!) This type also have an external 'clock' so the meter can be read without the meter reader needing to enter the premises.

Note of caution though, Anglian Water did tell a friend of mine she needed 2 meters as she had 2 supplies entering the property. I queried as the one stoptap shut the entire house off. A 2nd inspector duly arrived, they then realised the 2nd meter would actually be measuring some water that had already passed through the 1st!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back