Moving overhead power supply for building works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a quiet Friday on the building forum and I know how much you all like a good diagram...

The extension we're planning for 2019 will need our existing overhead supply to be moved. I'm trying to understand if I should move it to an alternative overhead location, and work close to it, or switch to underground with the invasive trenching through the house that that would require.

How close could you or should you get to these? At what point might your scaffolding or man-handling of timber fail your risk assessment and you ask the DNO to put in a temporary supply?

I think I know the answer... I need to suck it up and get digging... Am I missing any other sensible alternatives? Arguably the overhead cable could be relocated to the new extension's front gable end, but that would require a temporary supply while the extension is built so cost-wise presumably I'm better off just moving it once to an underground location?

full

Sponsored Links
Build around it until it can be fixed to the new wall.

Did FMT do your plans? Nice.

Build around it until it can be fixed to the new wall.

Is it effectively an SWA cable in the air, so I can get work within a couple of feet of it without being considered reckless?

Did FMT do your plans? Nice.

They were only £50 and were generated from a 3D model which can also be used to generate the building regulations drawings apparently.

You can build all around it - leave a brick out.

Just need to be aware of it really, to avoid slicing it. It wont be arcing or anything.

Looks like freddy's upping his game :eek:

Sponsored Links
Speak to your Distribution Network Operator ( http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html ) to discuss the options they can offer.

Is the meter going to remain where it is ? Is the garage going to be removed before construction starts. If yes then go underground after the garage is removed by trenching from the meter location to the distribution pole and install a duct for the DNO to install their underground cable.

The garage will be demolished, although I'll retain the floor slab to re-use for the new garage. The meter won't move.

I wanted to address it this year because I'd been led to believe that it's such as slow/bureaucratic process it's best not to have to deal with it mid-build? I'm with Scottish&Southern so I've just sent them a plan to ask for a price for both methods- a) Trenching b) build-around-and-reattach.

the DNO will appreciate being informed. They are very risk-averse and may fit insulating hi-viz protective sleeving to existing cables, warning signs, or re-route them to reduce risk.

They know how clumsy builders can be.

I'll do some measuring tomorrow to see how close the new gable wall will be. I suspect the cable will need to go through it.

Is the pole on your land or does the overhead line cross someone else's land and would need permission from them for trenching?

The pole is approx 150mm from my boundary in the scrub between pavement and my house.

The way the driveway tarmac and pavement has been laid over the years makes it look a bit like the pole is on our property but land registry says otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back