Moving rainwater pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move the rainwater pipe from the side of my house to the back.
_________is the wall of the house and 0 is where the rainwater pipe goes into the ground through a reducer.

It's currently like this:-

_______0_________

and I want to move it here:-

0________________

Would this be a straightforward DIY task?

Would I just dig a trench along the side of the house and join the underground pipe.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Y.our drawing suggests (to me) that you wish to move the pipe further along the house.Can you do a better drawing? :confused:
I dont think your rain water drain will be running under the house in the position you require.
An alternative would be to run your drainpipe straight into foul water drains i.e. kitchen sink drain which is allowable if the roof space drained is less than 40 square metres

Here is a better drawing.
rainpipe.bmp

Can I just dig a trench at the side of the house and extend the current pipework by a few metres (distance from the middle to the back) so I can connect a downpipe in the new location?

Can't you just extend the guttering and use a corner piece to connect onto existing guttering? :confused:

Sponsored Links
No, because I need it at the back for the garage drainage. The rainwater from the house roof will drain onto garage roof then into the drain at the back of the house.

You could put in your new downpipe in your desired position and dig a trench under your garden and connect a pipe leading to a soakaway which you will have to make yourself (involves digging up the garden and using rubble etc to the water to run through).
I would try to somehow connect up to an existing drain, it will be much easier.
Sorry I can't help you more :)

You can extend the drain, is your drains PVC or clay, PVC is easier to work with, if your drains are clay they are a little more awkward to work with cutting etc, if you move the drain why cant yo leave the outlet where it is and discharge this onto the roof of the garage, then connect your guttering from the garage roof into the new drain position, if you place the outlet of the gutter where you have shown it, you will not be equally taking the discharge from the roof

Thanks for the advice BAHCO and billy bob.
If I extend the underground drain pipe are there any regulations/rules that state a minimum or maximum fall for the pipe (obviously the water can't drain uphill) or is it ok to have it level.

I think it's 1:60 fall. It's certainly not a good idea to have it level, you will get a guaranteed blockage sooner or later.

I would get your local building inspector involved, if I were you, you do not want to move the drain etc, then the building inspector makes you put it back as it was, because you did not get it approved.

Rain water should really go into a soakaway 4 metre away from the property, I think the minimum fall is 1:40 but long time since I've done one.

If there is already rainwater drainage on the property why would you install a soakaway

Yes, old property still have them that way but now you have to have it via soakaway. This is one of the reason for flooding problem and concrete driveway etc as the water got nowhere to go. If you put rainwater into drain then sewer level will rise. This is why sometime you see drain cover get blown off !

masona, I work on a lot of new build and they all have rainwater drainage, not soakaways

I must be getting old then :) not all property have rainwater drainage as you say new build do.

I think it depend where you live, round my area the local planning dept rather have soakaway if possible.I think pumabhoy was referring to using the sewer drain which is not allow in my area and I assumes it was the same everywhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back