MP tells truth in Parliament, gets suspended for a day.

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Rules of etiquette forbid this.

"The MP told Indy100 that she knew she would be kicked out of the House for breaking the rules on etiquette, but insisted that Parliament needs to re-examine them to ‘suit the modern era’, adding that she plans to put forward a petition.

Writing in a column for Metro.co.uk, Ms Butler said she hoped her actions would highlight that ‘we get in more trouble for calling out lies than people do for telling lies’.

She continued: ‘This archaic system serves only to protect privilege and don’t they know it.’

‘But I don’t regret a thing, I stand by what I said. I simply had enough and had to speak truth to power,’ she wrote.

‘My stance has clearly struck a chord with the country. Maybe there are more of us that stand together than the PM and his cronies realise.

‘Many people are wondering why I got ejected and handed a one-day suspension for saying something that every one of us knows to be true.
"

Sponsored Links
Whether you agree with what her view of Boris or not, she knew exactly what would happen if she broke the rules by calling the PM a liar in Parliament. She did it purely for the publicity and should have received a much longer ban for that reason alone in my opinion.

The rule of not calling other MPs liars in parliament is there to force MPs to put together proper arguments and make proper points. Otherwise, MPs would constantly be calling each other liars and they wouldn't have any kind of proper debate.

Whether you agree with what her view of Boris or not, she knew exactly what would happen if she broke the rules by calling the PM a liar in Parliament. She did it purely for the publicity and should have received a much longer ban for that reason alone in my opinion.

The rule of not calling other MPs liars in parliament is there to force MPs to put together proper arguments and make proper points. Otherwise, MPs would constantly be calling each other liars and they wouldn't have any kind of proper debate.
The irony is that the rules assume that MPs do not lie. So whilst you can be banned from the house for a day for identifying a lie, telling it has no punishment.

Sponsored Links
Her point is that Boris HAS lied to Parliament and nobody has been able to call him out on it.
He's been proved to have lied many times and IMHO the Speaker should call him to Parliament and force him to admit the lies.

That's not my understanding of why the rule exists. There is nothing to stop you from refuting the points made by another MP, in fact that is entirely the point of the rule. It means that an MP has to refute a point with detail, and not be lazy by just calling them a liar.

That's not my understanding of why the rule exists. There is nothing to stop you from refuting the points made by another MP, in fact that is entirely the point of the rule. It means that an MP has to refute a point with detail, and not be lazy by just calling them a liar.
She did that. And she was banned.

Whats the punishment for lying? Nothing. Has Bojo corrected the record? No.

Sorry but this is the only form of protest that works, until you make that impossible - democracy lol.

No, she simply called him a liar and repeatedly, without justifying in any way her accusations.

Boris has been asked to correct the record - as he has lied and has not done so.

The level of delusion is bonkers amongst his acolytes.

Any sane person knows that borisconi is a serial liar...

Sadly in the most undemocratic place 'elected' people are not allowed to point this out...

Says it all really!

Whats the punishment for lying? Nothing. Has Bojo corrected the record? No.

Sorry but this is the only form of protest that works, until you make that impossible - democracy lol.
Punishment for what? It was general, lazy accusations of the PM being a liar made for publicity reasons only. Lazy because she just made accusations on each point with no facts to demonstrate he was wrong or lying.

If she wanted to prove he'd lied and presented the facts demonstrating he'd been untruthful, that was her opportunity to do it in parliament in a democratic manner.

15 seconds into the video John posted.

I watched the entire video and several times - there was no justification for the accusations at all from her and she simply ignored the warnings from the Speaker.

I'm not saying she was wrong, simply that repeating 'liar' serves no purpose in the House of Commons nor anywhere else.

Sponsored Links
Back