MR16 Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just taken a look at a flat we rent out and found that the three downlights in the kitchen are shot and the flex around the bulb is hard and broken.

The fitting is fire rated and low voltage. Insulation should be away from holder. Not sure what lamps tenant has been putting in, but once I have the flex fixed, I want to limit flex degradation in future, so will get my own lamps.

Would either of these be the best to reduce heat around fitting and are there any other recommendations?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-...low-voltage-halogen-20w-lamp-pack-of-5/73798?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-...-5/78273#product_additional_details_container

Thinking about the 20W one to reduce heat as much as possible.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
I want to limit flex degradation in future, so will get my own lamps.
And when they fail the tenants will replace them with their own choice.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-mr16-coolfit-superia-low-voltage-halogen-20w-lamp-pack-of-5/73798?
Or, as that sort of lighting is ******g useless at the best of times, as soon as your back us turned after making it even more ******g useless by installing dim lamps, the tenants will replace them with their own choice.

are there any other recommendations?
I recommend you replace those ******g useless lights with ones which are actually designed to light up rooms.

Anyone else have any experience of these please.

B A S has a valid point. Tenants will change lamps and may ignore all the instructions about type and wattage of the lamps to be fitted. Especially if they consider the lamps are not bright enough for them.

Long term it might be more economic ( and maybe safer ) to replace the downlighters with surface mounted compact flourescents to give a more even spread of light and prevent tenants being able to fit the wrong type of lamp.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bernard.

Went to toolstation and got the same ones as I linked to, at just under £3 each. Got both the 20w and the 35w, and lampholder flex. Just change the flex and put in the 20w. Look fine to me so far - will check again tonight to see what it's like at night, and will return the 35W if they seem OK.

Kitchen has under counter lights too, so may be fine.

Tenant saw the condition of the flex and was as worried as I am about putting in the wrong lamps. He said he would not put in lamps other than the ones I supply. NO guarantee of course.

These lamps have aluminium reflectors, which reflect all wavelengths of light, rather than absorbing some with a different period, so the heat behind will be much less. Maybe even the 50W equivalent ones with aluminium would have been fine too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back