MS Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For reasons best kept between myself and the nice man in a white coat who looks after me, I would like to get hold of a couple of copies of MS Office.

I don't particularly want to subscribe and I would like a disc rather than a download.

So this limits me to software of a certain age.

I know Office 365 is out (subs) and Office 2016 is out (download only).

I have searched muchly on the tinterweb. As far as I can make out, the latest Office offering on disc is Office 2010. Is that right?

And if I wanted a multiple license version on disc, would it still be Office 2010?

Does anyone have any sane reasons to buy 365?

If you download, can you burn a disc?

Thank you guys.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only versions of Office (apart from that money-grabbing 365) I know about are 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 (which I have) and earlier. I have seen a version of 2016 on Amazon that appears to come with a disc:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...osoft+office&sprefix=Microsoft+Office,aps,156

I don't know how important it is that you have Office, but I also have LibreOffice which is a free download (although I made a small contribution because I find it an excellent programme). As far as I can tell, it does everything that Office does or at least everything that I need. In fact, in some ways it is better than Office in that I can open some old files (like Lotus WordPro) that Office cannot open. Why not download a copy and try it for yourself. If you don't like it for any reason just delete it and you haven't lost anything.

Thanks JB.

Will try Libre Office.

Long time no hear, BTW. Hope you and yours are well.

Last edited:
Very well, thanks. No, I don't visit GD any more for obvious reasons. A few previous members of this forum and I are now on another forum where proper moderation takes place and freedom of speech is paramount (within reason). I'm afraid I cannot name it here, of course.

I still look in on some of the more professional sections of DIYnot every day, though, as these are much more professionally run.

Good luck with LibreOffice. It looks different to MS Office, of course, but I've found it easy enough to use.

Sponsored Links
Cheers.

Have you still got my email address? (Nod, nod, wink, wink...:sneaky:)

Cheers.

Have you still got my email address? (Nod, nod, wink, wink...:sneaky:)
No, I can't find it in my address book, I'm afraid. Of course, I have had my laptop back for repair in the meantime; just got it back a few days ago and had to restore everything.

Can you PM me with it please?

Yes. If I hadn't had a copy of MS Office, I'd happily use LibreOffice.

The one thing I haven't tried, though, is their version of Excel. I have been creating and using some Excel spreadsheets recently and, to be honest, that software is pretty new to me. I'd be worried if I'd gone to a great deal of trouble in creating a complicated spreadsheet in LibreOffice, only to find that other people cannot use it in Excel (which most people use). I'll have to have a look, but I have a feeling that LibreOffice will provide the option of saving a spreadsheet in Excel format.

EDIT: Yes, I just tried it, and it does offer .xls and .xlsx (along with a load of other things).

It certainly works fine with all my saved excel files.

Sponsored Links
Back