Multi-Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please instruct me on using a multimeter and how to do basic testing on lighting circuits etc

Sponsored Links
To test to IEE regulations BS 7671 a multi meter on it own is not much use. You will need the following equipment.

1) a continuity tester (low ohms) resolution to 0.01 ohms. (most multimetrers will only go as far a 0.1 ohms).
2) an insulation resistance tester.
3) a loop impedance tester.
4) an RCD tester
5) a prospective short circuit current (PSCC) tester.
6) an approved test lamp or voltage indicator (you can use your multi meter for this one!)
7) ideally a proving unit.

Go to a website like Megger or Martindale to see the specific eqipment. You can buy separate units for each of the tests or if you have £500-1000 pound you can buy a 16th edition tester which combines all of the tests in one unit.

With regards to how to do it. You would really be better off with a good book. There are many available but I would recommend Testing Electrical Installations A practical guide for electricians: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Testing-Ele...1020402?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193750033&sr=8-1
Not being funny, but the subject is too big for a simple posting. I know you are currently doing 2330 level 2. Further down the line after you've completed level 3 then do the course C+G 2391 which essentially covers this subject so you can test away to your hearts content. (Have a look on C&G website for more details).

Also remember try to think not just how to test, but why are you doing the tests.

Hope this helps :)
[/url]

Sponsored Links
To test to IEE regulations BS 7671 a multi meter on it own is not much use. You will need the following equipment.

1) a continuity tester (low ohms) resolution to 0.01 ohms. (most multimetrers will only go as far a 0.1 ohms).
2) an insulation resistance tester.
3) a loop impedance tester.
4) an RCD tester
5) a prospective short circuit current (PSCC) tester.
6) an approved test lamp or voltage indicator (you can use your multi meter for this one!)
7) ideally a proving unit.

Go to a website like Megger or Martindale to see the specific eqipment. You can buy separate units for each of the tests or if you have £500-1000 pound you can buy a 16th edition tester which combines all of the tests in one unit.

With regards to how to do it. You would really be better off with a good book. There are many available but I would recommend Testing Electrical Installations A practical guide for electricians: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Testing-Ele...1020402?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193750033&sr=8-1
Not being funny, but the subject is too big for a simple posting. I know you are currently doing 2330 level 2. Further down the line after you've completed level 3 then do the course C+G 2391 which essentially covers this subject so you can test away to your hearts content. (Have a look on C&G website for more details).

Also remember try to think not just how to test, but why are you doing the tests.

Hope this helps :)
[/url]

One other thing you will need is a fair few quid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back