Multi point lock jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pvc door and the key will turn to open the lock, but then it gets stuck. So if i want to remove the key i have to turn it back and the lock sticks out meaning we cannot close the door, unless we lock it fully.

Does anyone know if this just need a squirt of silicone spray or is the lock finished.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the barrel is out of sync, can you try a different barrel from another door, doesn't sound like the main lock

Sponsored Links
I've replaced the Euro lock barrel twice on our front door in the last 16 years for the same reason. Just held in by one screw. Very easy to do. There are different lengths of lock so just get one the same size. From what I remember I think they are sold in sizes such as 60/30 40/40 60/40 which is the inner and outer lengths in millimetres from the screw hole that holds it in the door.

Edit: Like this:

Last edited:
Does the key turn completely and come out, if the door is open.

Does the key turn completely and come out, if the door is open.

My guess is when the key comes out at the vertical position the actual cam is at 11 or 1 o'clock instead of 7 or 5 o'clock hence when turn it one way it's already thrown the lever over inside the gearbox and has gone round again but cams out before the key is vertical, going back the other way means the deadlock is doing what it's doing, it's defo the barrel gone bad

ok i will look into a new barrel.

The key does turn fully to lock the door, but it doesn't turn the other way fully and so the key can only be removed when the lock is being used. This means the door can't just be shut closed, it has to be locked closed.

Does sound like a barrel to me, have you got another pvc door you could try the barrel from?

If you must go to Screwfix :) then I'd recommend either a Yale Superior or Cisa Astral euro cylinder. The rest of Screwfix's cylinder range looks pants.

Better still, I'd suggest buying a Sold Secure Diamond rated cylinder (e.g. available from a local locksmith's shop).

Whichever cylinder you choose, I reckon a tiny dab of silicone lube (not too much!) every six months is a good idea to keep the cylinder working smoothly. Kaba makes an excellent silicone lube for locks (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back