Multifuel Stove Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got 3 multifuel stoves in our house. 1 in the living room, 1 in the dining room and 1 in an upstairs bedroom. All of them flue lined (they weren't going to be, but the dining room chimney failed and poured smoke into next door so we lined them all).

The living room and dinning rooms are open plan with a large arch between the two as a through room.

This winter coming to light them the living room one didn't draw well. Assuming we had a blockage or something we've had the chimney swept (2 days ago, and this would be done annually anyway and was due), and the log burner plate cleared. We lit it last night, and the draw was awful. Open the door to a puff of smoke out into the room as we had before sweeping. We get it to burn with the vents full, but not the roaring furnace we used to get.

I don't believe it's pressure or airflow related as stated the living and dining rooms are a large through room. We have an open hatch from the dinning room to the kitchen, and the kitchen is open into the hallway and upstairs. We have wooden floors, and vented underneath. Skirting is not fully sealed, neither are under the living room and dining room doors so there is plenty of air flow. The chimney stack had 8 pots on, 4 for us, and 4 for the neighbour, all the same height (neighbour only has 1 for gas we still have 4). We did the work on this to re-build it due to condition 4 years ago, and that was before the log burners all went in 3 and 2 years ago. So the chimney height is fine being at the apex of the roof, and no trees etc to 'baffle' the airflow.

The chimney tops with burners on all have the same cowl and flue liner. If we light the dinning room burner and open it's bottom vent when hot it roars like a furnace, as does the upstiars bedroom one, while the living room only burns slowly.

Any ideas here that I can look at before the chimney sweep comes back in 6 days? It's cold here now with snow/frost/ice on the ground, and would really like to use the burner in the main room.

Is it possible of flue liner damage? or still a blockage?

Thanks for any help.
S

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm at risk of stating the obvious here, but I'm wondering if the sweeping brush was actually visible at the chimney pot last time it was swept?
I'd still suspect a blockage at this stage, assuming the liner was installed correctly i.e correct connection at the register plate and at the chimney top itself.
John :)

yeah, I wasn't there for the sweep it was my brother letting the sweep in. That was the first thing I asked, but didn't quite get a straight answer.

just about to take the plate out and check, but it'd worked fine for 18 months off and on. Not used that much so it's annual sweep was starting this autumn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back