Multimeter (volts) losing accuracy

C

Coniferman

I'm a hobbyist/diyer and have a cheap multimeter, currently one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44679

When new, I beleive it was accurate but now a new alkaline 1.5v battery shows 1.585 volts. I assume it should be 1.500 ?! Not great when you have a spent battery and it still shows just under 1.5.

Is this just what happens with cheap meters?

Secondly, there is a one potentiometer inside the unit. Is it likely that adjusting this will allow me to calibrate and is a good way to adjust it to get 1.5v from a new battery?

Sponsored Links
No dont adjust it! the voltage reading you are taking is off load you need to put a load across the battey then take a reading, try the same with the spent battery to see what voltage you get.

I assume that you are using your meter quiet often, if so, I am not saying that you should buy one for hundreds of pounds, but you can find a very good one for a reasonable price.

No dont adjust it! the voltage reading you are taking is off load you need to put a load across the battey then take a reading, try the same with the spent battery to see what voltage you get.

All the years I have been testing batteries with meters and not noticed this :confused: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Try putting a new battery in the meter, some multimeters seem to give whacky results when thier batteries are low.

BTW it is quite normal for a new alkaline battery to have an off load voltage a bit over 1.5V. It's not normal for a dead one to be nearly 1.5V though even off load.

Thanks for the replies.

I think what threw me was that I was having a problem with a keyfob and the 3 volt battery showed exactly 3.0v on the meter so I could not understand why it was not working properly. Eventually I replaced the battery and the problem was solved and I realised the new battery was more than 3.0v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back