Muscle motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
55proj602_7.jpg

sm55proj902_2.jpg

1955 Chevrolet BelAir Sports Coupe powered by a V12 Rolls Royce Merlin Aircraft Engine as used by P51 Mustang Aircraft.
http://www.rodshop.com.au/intro.htm

They do not seem to give a XXXX !!
;)

Sponsored Links
pipme...looking at the blue estate(station wagon?) on the link, you can definately see MK1 Cortina to the sides and Anglia van to the roof.

What do you reckon to the grill Chevy or maybe Simca 1000?

Anglia van -- Roof vent and cross band sculpts faired in .. Certainly waisteline area, deffo to rear lights, Cortina 1 ... Area around headlights looks Anglia, with the little 'hood' did they change the faired in Cortina heads at some later date I wonder ? Simca I do not know, but a mate had a little 'un way back in '70's .. bit of a 'snorter' I think !!

Dave, you must have scrapped up some potential classics in your day ?
Some regrets in hindsight too I'll bet !!

Many years back, bro-in-law owned car sales, he had a penchant for the odd XK Jag sports 130, 140, mostly fixed head, great to borrow for w/e 'specially when on a first date !! Made all the difference - at times !! Cost me a coupla hrs cleaning and polishing as 'rental', worth every second !

My M8 in Oz, says that when the big 'un with Merlin motor, was on display at a show, complete with the atmospheric, part nazi tailplane and ack ack gun ... An old German guy knew enough about the aircraft bits to pretty well prove his story that he was a one time pilot of the very same Jerry plane !!

smrodsej.jpg

van603c.jpg

photocar7.jpg
Saw Jimmy Clark racing the Lotus Cortina, great car in it's day, he made it go !!
:D

No we didn't scrap many classics really, only one that spring to mind are a nearly new mint Fiat 130 coupe
http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/topten/doomed-luxo-cruisers/doomed-luxo-cruisers-6.html
Can't remember the last time I saw one. It was the owner a of a large dealerships wives car. Rumour had it she had died and he didn't want anyone else to drive it, less than a year old and we put it in the crusher and got paid to pick it up to. Most cars were run of the mill though.

I was once offered a MK1 Lotus Cortina complete with all its ally panels for £150. The original twin cam was so troublesome the owner had fitted a pre crossflow 1500 lump instead. The original was in the boot complete with webers etc. Couldn't be bothered at time and regretted it ever since. :cry:

Once had to take a 6 month old quattro turbo 1984/5 out of a pond. Apparently it had been stolen and dumped there in the middle of the night. we were lucky really whoever put it in had left it easy to get out, insurance job I believe. ;)

Another time I was queueing to get in a major scrap yard at the docks. A guy drove a brand new Rolls onto the weighbridge, another guy with him photographed it getting crushed then they both drove off together. Apparently it was a test car from Crewe and it was a regular occurence.

There are many stories pipme but this is an open forum afterall, I'm too old now for bread and water :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I am sure there are - many stories !!
Ah, memories of cars with the odd brackets and larger pieces copied and manufactured from scrap Titanium ...
;) ;)

david and julie said:
No we didn't scrap many classics really, only one that spring to mind are a nearly new mint Fiat 130 coupe
http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/topten/doomed-luxo-cruisers/doomed-luxo-cruisers-6.html
Can't remember the last time I saw one. It was the owner a of a large dealerships wives car. Rumour had it she had died and he didn't want anyone else to drive it, less than a year old and we put it in the crusher and got paid to pick it up to. Most cars were run of the mill though.

Remember this car quite well as a friend's dad used to have the coupe model during the early '70's - lovely motor. I think it had a 3.0 litre V6 engine from Maserati which might have gone in this as well: www.ciltd.co.uk/Events/Acs01/CitSM.JPG

Just remembered this website I spent a lot of time ogling, and even submitted a few links to the owner of (yes yes, 'twas I who drew his attention to the V8 Mini Clubman :D )

http://britishv8.org/swaps/examples.htm

An interesting website to read the whole of, I've just linked to the cars but there are some good other bits there. Be warned, anyone with a love of cars ESPECIALLY if they have at one time owned a British sportscar, should clear an afternoon in their diary to read the whole thing. :D

Back