Bathroom Extractor Remote Control??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my dilemma.

I have 350w of GU10 lighting in my bathroom. I also have 2 extraction vents in the ceiling that are served by an Vortice inline extractor fan which is 58w, so I gather from the literature.

The lights are switched from outside the door, I would like to have these dimmable, but thats not the main issue here.

At the moment, the extractor is switched with the lights, just as a trial, I wanted to check that the motor is big enough, infact it is, plenty big enough! So, now I could do with giving it some speed control. The tricky bit is, I would like the fan control to be IN the bathroom, but do not want a pull-cord.

So, that got me looking at this type of device......

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/hunter-remote-control-p-1955.html

There are lots of these on the market, they are intended for fans made by the respective companies, in the case of the link above, Hunter. What I am wondering is, is it possible to alter this device to run a fan such as the type I have? I haven't seen what the kit consists of, but maybe is has a live/earth connection point that I can simply use for my fan without problems?

The most frustrating part is that all of these types of devices (which are also made by Fantasia and several other companies) can switch/dim light, but 350w of Halogen is more than they can handle. The seem to suggest 300w maximum, but thats different to Halogen light anyway, isn't it? So, unless there is another trick, I will end up with a remote with the ability and relevant buttons etc to control lighting, but in reality unable to actually do it.

I've been mulling this one over for months and LONG for a solution!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back