Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of renovating a bathroom and I need to have the electric cables in place for a new extractor fan before the joiners lower and plaster the ceiling and I'm wondering if the following is correct.

I want the fan to come on whenever the light comes on, but I haven't actually purchased the extractor fan yet so don't have any installation instructions.

I have 2 core and earth coming from Consumer Unit to bathroom light via other lights in loop. I have 2 core and earth coming from switch to bathroom light. I have 3 core and earth going from bathroom light to extractor fan. I have 2 core and earth going from extractor fan to next light in the loop.

Is this correct...?

Sponsored Links
NO..it won't work properly like that.

You need to wire the switch for the bathroom and the light in the usual way but then run a 3 core and earth from the light fitting to a triple pole isolator and then on to the fan.

The connections being a permenent live, to allow the fan to overrun, the switched live to turn it on with the light, and a neutral.

The loop to the next light should come from the light fitting anf not the fan.

The installation of a fan isolator is a requirement and it must be triple pole to break all phase conductors in the event of maintence on the fan...

Thanks for the reply Big_Spark. I will make the neccessary adjustments.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back