My Cold bath tap has become very stiff ......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My missus who suffers from arthritis has just started to complain about the cold bath tap being too stiff to turn, it is a ceramic disc quarter turn type made by BRISTAN

Si thought Easy to fix, get some new handles/levers with more leverage. So i go to unscrew the handle retaining screw and there is no screw !, there looks to be a small chrome domed plug !!!!.

So my first question has to be, How on earth can i take the handle OFF please, and then i would hope i could get a different shape handle/lever to simply put in it's place, or am I dreaming?

Second question, the cold bath tap that needs the new handle/lever is a bit stiff to turn anyway, so i seem to remember that with the handle removed AND turning the water OFF i can can simply unscrew the ceramic disc cartridge and put a new one in, probable a pair !.

Anyway i have thoughtfully taken a photo of the offending domed chrome plug to give somebody here a better idea of what i am up against !.

Tim

Sponsored Links
TBH the amount of time spent faffing around with these, you'd be wiser to follow Hert's advice. You'll need a small number of tools to do this (adjustable basin spanner and box spanner) which will set you back a few quid, but will last you a lifetime and will be of help if you need to renew other taps to more managable ones for your wife.

I was dreading a reply like that, because the side of the bath from where i have to get access to the Tap nuts is all tiled !!!!!!, and it is right next door to the WC !!!.

I DO KNOW that when i did tile the side of the bath, i did make an access panel that was 3 tiles wide and 1 tile high and i have been dreading the day when i will have to remove it again.

I was hoping i would simply be able to replace the lever and the cartridge but leave the body where it is !!.

Hey i found the picture, yippee !.

Tim

Sponsored Links
OK lads, i take on board what you are both saying about replacing the taps as the best option.
BUT you can see in the picture, the little plug i am referring to, is it possible to remove it, would i have to destroy it to remove it and would i find a screw to undo when i do remove it ???

Tim

That's a bristan java
Remove the chrome cap and then use a 2.5mm allen key to loosen the grub screw.

PT No

VS03-B24C - Cold cartridge
VS03-B24H - Hot cartridge
VS03-C24 - Pair cartridges.

Thats fine Seco but just how does he remove the domed plug?

Or how would I remove it?

Tony

No, the cap over his domed head!

220px-Flat-cap-front-view.jpg

Howdy friends, hey how did you know i had a bald head ?? LOL

Seriously now, i have just had another look at my problem tap and i noticed it was bit rattly and i just pulled it upwards and it came off with the little allen screw rattling around in the bath, not going down the plug hole.

Also, rather happily, i could now see from inside the lever/knob how and what i have to do to get dammed screw plug out !!!!

Thanks for your help Lads AND Lasses, i am still keen on simply replacing the cartridges and the levers !

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back