Bathroom Tap Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a matching set of taps in my bathroom from about 14 years ago. A single body is for the sink and the double body for the bath. Typically the bathroom fitter took/lost the instructions. The taps and the company who make them do not exist anymore.

Both taps are now very stiff to turn on/off (lever back and forth) and to activate hot/cold (swivel left and right).

I want to free up the action and remove the stiffness.

My first question is, is it possible for me to do this and if so what should I do?

Photos attached.

I have managed to remove the grub screw from the bathroom tap and removed the handle. It all looks very clean inside. But I don't know what to do next. It looks like the deep chrome ring at the top unscrews but I've tried with all my might and can't budge it. Inside there is a very large nut but access to it is impossible without removing the deep chrome ring (if it comes off that is). The black plastic thing locates into a square recess within the inside of the metal handle and is the element that moves back and forth to turn the water on/off and left and right for hot/cold.

The sink tap on the other hand is proving to be very stubborn because although I've removed the grub screw I can't for the life of me get the handle off. I've tried everything. Somehow its jammed.

Either I recondition these myself or have the very expensive, preferably avoidable, option of buying new taps.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_5686.jpg
    IMG_5686.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5687.JPG
    IMG_5687.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5688.JPG
    IMG_5688.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5689.JPG
    IMG_5689.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
The chrome shroud has to be unscrewed on bath tap ,then the large hexagon nut removed. That will allow you to remove the cartridge valve. The basin tap handle should pull off after grub screw is removed. Unfortunately limescale tends to build up on both and makes it tricky to remove them. Pouring boiling water over them can help ,or a blowtorch ,if your very ,very ,careful.

Thanks Terry. I'd like to expand on your answers...

Do you have any advice on removing the chrome shroud? As I said I can't do it by hand. Mole grips will damage the surface.

Assuming I get everything off and have removed the catridge valve, what I should I do then? Bath the valve in limescale remover? Use vinegar? ...? Any grease after cleaning?

The sink tap handle will not budge. I've even tried tapping it from beneath with a hammer around the rim. I think it's limescale. Are you suggesting I pour boiling water over the top of the handle and keep trying every now and then to pull it off?

Cheers

Once the cartridge valve is removed ,you will need to source a replacement .
Bath chrome shroud ,heating it by pouring very hot water on it ,can expand it and aid loosening . You will need a large pair of grips ,and wrap something around the chrome to protect it. Spraying wd40 releasing oil may also help.
The basin tap is similar to the bath ,square shaft . If you can remove the handle and spray wd40 in through the hole ,and through where the grub screw came out ,that may help. And again ,pouring very hot water over the basin tap handle to expand .
They can be a nightmare to get off ,and Sometimes you just have to change the tap if all else fails.

Sponsored Links
I can already see this being a nightmare but I'm prepared to try. Thanks again for your reply. If the taps are not sold any more and the company gone bust will I still be able to get a replacement cartridge and where from?

Screwfix sell some ," mixer tap cartridge" in two sizes ,and fit quite a few tap models. Failing that an internet search !!

OK I'm glad they are obviously not specific and more generic. Let's see how I get on.... Cheers for your help.

You could try a 'strap wrench' (bought or homebrew) for shifting the chromed parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back