Help removing tap handle on mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cold tap valve has overtightened so trying to get to it... and failing.

I've removed the end cap, and the screw inside but still can't remove the handle. There is a couple of mm play in the handle when I pull it out but then sticks firm. There is no grub screw anywhere on the handle shaft. There is no grub screw under the tap itself, or on that cover (which looks like it might unscrew but pretty sure it doesn't)

Pictures here https://imgur.com/a/6O51bsQ

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy!

Sponsored Links
The cross head should pull off ,sometimes needs " persuading" as limescale builds up and holds it onto the shaft. Pouring very hot water over can sometimes help to expand it. The chrome shroud also unscrews off to expose the valve body.

A few gentle taps will usually release it protect with a cloth and tap one side the the other.
Does your tap have just quarter turn or do you screw it down?.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both - hot water and the knowledge a bit of elbow grease wasn't breaking anything did the trick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back