Mixer tap handle - can't remove on/off handle (grub screw issue)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every few years I need to replace the cartridge inside my old mixer tab. It's the usual type where you lift the handle to turn on the water then turn left/right to mix the water.

There's a hole to access the grub screw underneath the handle. This grub screw pushes against the square plastic top of the cartridge.

Today I went to undo the grub screw - it was stiff at first but suddenly released yet I still can't remove the handle. I can't see the grub screw either!

I'm guessing one of the following has happened:

a) I undid the grub screw too far and it's dropped inside the recessed area of the handle, but even so I still can't lift off the handle, it won't budge even a little

b) I've stripped the grub screw (or broken it)

As the handle still won't budge I think the grub screw is still in place - it's hard to see inside properly, even with a powerful light and a small magnifying glass, but I can't see anything that looks like a grub screw any more, which is strange.

Let's suppose that I have somehow removed the grub screw, how can I lift off the handle seeing as it's somehow jammed in place?

Should I just try and drill out the area where the grub screw is inserted? If I do that I'm not sure what to replace the grub screw with of course.

Finally, what diameter is the recess for the allen key on a typical mixer grub screw? I thought I normally used my 2mm hex key (allen key) - is 2mm the norm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back