My First Ubeam - selected profile looks a bit flimsy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done some calcs to select an apropriate UB for replacing part of a supporting wall.
Details
Average 3 bed terrace
Usual stuff upstairs
span of opening 2.56m
beam will sit against upstairs floor joists.
evenly distributed load

I used a few different UB profiles in the calcs and I kept being able to select smaller and smaller ones. Each fell within the limits.
Decided on
Just over 3M of UB 178 X 102 X 19
Drew out the profile and it looks a little flimsy.
Can anyone with experience of using these beams tell me if this looks ok.
I think I could even go smaller thatn this and still fall within the limits.

The attached pics are my calcs for anyone who would care to take a look and tell me if I have missed something. I have cheched then about 4 times and I cant see a problem with them

Thanks

Part 1
ubcalcs1.jpg

Part2
ubcalcs2.jpg

The profiles are drawn to scale on A4 sheet to get an idea of the sizes. I have gone for the shortest profile and as I said it look a bit flimsy what do you think.
ubcalcs3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I did the calcs a different way but came out with the same conclusion.

3m x 178mm x 102mm UB.

But am happy to bow to better judgement.

Thanks guys thats reasuring. Just to be absolutely certain anyone installed a beam in a similar situation with the same span? If so what beam did you use.

Sponsored Links
I did one a while ago with much the same span/steel size with no problems. Go for it, your on the right track buddy

Thats good to hear. Thanks
Do you remember how much you paid for it. I have a quote of£85 plus VAT. Dont know if thats a good deal or not as I havent bought one before.

Sorry for late reply, been on hols...

Price was about the same as you mentioned as i remember it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back