Internal Wall Removal - is a steel required ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to remove the internal wall between my front room and back room in my 1930's semi. The wall is brick construction and is tied into the cavity between mine / neighbours and our hallway.
I have lifted floor boards upstairs and joists run parallel to this wall.
(One is within 50mm of the wall and the other approx. 300mm)
The wall stops at ceiling height and upstairs dividing wall between bedrooms is blocks on the floor boards.
I proposed to fit a 178 x 102 x 19 UB but since finding the wall stops at ceiling is this necessary ??
For piece of mind I think I should fit the beam to provide lateral support to the walls and to provide fixing of new plaster board.

I would also Acro the existing joists for support until the beam is installed

Thanks in advance for comments

Sponsored Links
If the joists run parallel to the wall, then i personally would assume it won't be carrying any load. However the question is whether if the joist which the upstairs wall is resting on is also resting on the downstairs wall.

If the joists run parallel to the wall, then i personally would assume it won't be carrying any load. However the question is whether if the joist which the upstairs wall is resting on is also resting on the downstairs wall.

I am pretty sure the joist nearest the wall is approx 50mm away

From the post by Smath22 he has done what I intend and has had some movement of upstairs door frame

//www.diynot.com/forums/building/weight-of-brick-wall-on-joist-im-concerned.375486/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back