Propping cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am extending the downstairs galley kitchen and going to be installing a UB to support the cavity bricks. I'd like the beam to be snug up to the kitchen ceiling so there is very little downstand. Normally upstairs floor joists run perpendicular to the wall to be removed but on my house the joists run across the house in line with the cavity wall. The bathroom, and the bath, are right above the kitchen wall so I'd like to avoid putting Needles through into that room as the bath may be in the way.
I can use Acrows and Strongboys to support the outer leaf bricks but how do I support the inner course of bricks to get the beam in. I have kitchen units on both sides of the galley kitchen. Will I have to remove them and use strongboys on that leaf too or is there an easier way? The wall to be removed is 2.9m corner to corner and it's a 1930's semi with a 300mm cavity.

Sponsored Links
You are going to have to bite the bullet here. Personally I'd be looking at needling upstairs so that the beams can be hidden within the floor space.

As for all that kitchen stuff - surely you will be removing it along with the wall or else what's the point?

You can't put a beam in at a level, without supporting the wall above that level.

It's move the bath for a few days, or a beam below the ceiling for the rest of your life.

Yes, you're right. I was just trying to keep the units in place and usable as long as possible as one of them is the sink.

Same with the bath, it runs along that wall so will probably have to come out to allow the needles through unless there is space under / at the side of it.

But as you said the advantage of using needles is I can hide the Beam flush with the floor. Can I use 4x3 timber for needles or will it need steel ?

Also can I rest the needles on top of the floorboards & joists and Acrow the joists up from underneath with a plank or should I Acrow direct to the Needles ?

Sponsored Links
I've used 4x4 timbers or steel in the past, although steel bends less. Seen it done abroad by using steel plate each side of the wall bolted together through the wall, but never done it this way myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back