My Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having lived through a rather chilly first winter in our new home I'm making it a priority this summer to tackle the loft insulation, or more precisely the lack of loft insulation.

We live in a late victorian, mid terrace house which was constructed without roofing felt; as was the norm in this period.

I'm planning on putting standard loft insulation between the ceiling rafters and then board over with loft board. As well as this I'm planning on putting insulation board between the roof joists to create a second layer of insulation.

The questions I have are:
- Will adding the insulation board to the roof cause issues with my unfelted roof?
- Can I remove these upright pieces of wood? See the picture below, excuse the junk in the foreground.

http://pinterest.com/pin/130956301637423452/

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
You are just a step away from the wonderful world of condensation.

Yes, you could, might, possibly create difficulties for yourself - it would essentially depend on how you went about doing what seems to be a simple job, but a job that can create various difficulties.

Given, an unfelted slate roof with the torching mostly fallen away, why not go for a re-roof with all the venting and insulation details done correctly.
Warm, moisture laden air from the house below is another consideration.

It might be "safe" to remove the hanger ( i only see one ). What is it pinned to at the bottom - a joist, or a board running across the joist top edges?

I don't think it had any torching on it, could be wrong, this is a better picture of the roof.

http://pinterest.com/pin/130956301637424320/

Roof is in pretty much perfect condition so not much sense in replacing it.

I was intending on leaving an air gap between the insulation board and the roof itself.

There are 4 hangers on each side of the roof, will have to check what they are attached to. Could they be there to stop the ceiling sagging?

There maybe something amiss with your terminology see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_roof_construction Adding a layer at rafter level, in addition to the layer at ceiling level is a little inefficient as you are creating a big void which you are effectively heating. Better to do all of your insulation at ceiling (floor) level. As you have no felt though you can insulate at rafter level if you really want to with no ill effects but for reasons mentioned already why would you?

That said I have exactly the set up you are proposing ie insulation at floor level with boarding and then an additional layer at ceiling level, was done by the previous owners.

The tie looks so lightweight I can't believe its doing anything, what size is it, how many are there, what does it fix to?

I think danso's on drugs, without felt there should be plenty of drafts and free air circulation.

Sponsored Links
Main reason for wanting to board out at rafter level as well was so I could keep stuff in the loft without it getting filthy.

Well that could easily be achieved with a breathable membrane stapled to the underside of the rafters. Rolls are about £40 on ebay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back