My property suitable for unvented cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 18-22 water flow rate. I measured the pressure on a garden tap at between 4-5 bars, dropping to 3.5 when I turned on the kitchen mains tap at the same time.

I have a 17-18mm main pipe in and then I will be upgrading to 22mm to the cylinder.

Does my property sound suitable for an invented cylinder or do I need to make any further checks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What do you have now?
Size of property
CH size and setup?
What boiler?
Where is it located?
Where will unvented cylinder go?
Are you repiping?
What size is current piping
What height is highest HW outlet?

Hi,

I have 18-22 water flow rate. I measured the pressure on a garden tap at between 4-5 bars, dropping to 3.5 when I turned on the kitchen mains tap at the same time.

I have a 17-18mm main pipe in and then I will be upgrading to 22mm to the cylinder.

Does my property sound suitable for an invented cylinder or do I need to make any further checks?

Thanks

Yes but best to get installer round to test this stuff. And check out pipe routes etc

Current set-up is:

WB Cdi 30 system boiler in loft and vented cylinder in airing cupboard on floor below where bathrooms are (highest water outlet)

We have 10 radiators plus 2 bathroom towel rails.

Current pipe in from mains is 17/18 and rest looks like 15mm. Looking to upgrade where possible to 22. Not upgrading mains in.

Sponsored Links
An invented cylinder needs a dynamic flow rate of at least 22 li/min @ 1.0 bar to work properly.

Why do you think your open pipe flow rate is adequate?

Don't you have a professional to advise you?

Tony

I've had a few professionals over and it's amazing the conflicting advice you get.

Well if you are calling them without paying then and expecting to get free advice what do you expect? Why should they give you free advice?

Pay one as a consultant or give one the job and then you might get some proper advice!

Tony

I'm not looking for free advice. I'm looking for someone to do the job properly and to quote for it. I either get massively varying quotes - and I mean massive for exactly the same job. Or I get two people giving conflicting advice.

I don't see what your problem is ( apart from wanting free advice! ).

U/V cylinder about £750 to buy for 250 li

Installation in house about £500 or in loft about £700.

Upgrade incoming supply pipe about £600-£800

Tony

I'm not looking for free advice.

But you are taking free advice! Would you pay me to come and advise you? No, I thought not!

You have already called several people round and expected free advice and paid them nothing at all!

How can they pay their rates and mortgage and buy food to eat without any payment?

Caveat emptor, I'm afraid.
You have to make a judgement call on the man at the door... Some things can't be assessed over this medium with complete understanding of the site conditions.
Make sure the contractors you are calling in are registered for unvented (not invented) systems!

Hi,

Thanks

You need to pay a professional to give you proper advice in your home.

He should measure the dynamic flow rate!

Tony

I'm not looking for free advice. I'm looking for someone to do the job properly and to quote for it. I either get massively varying quotes - and I mean massive for exactly the same job. Or I get two people giving conflicting advice.

In my opinion you are doing exactly the right thing. Get a few quotes giving details of the work they propose, do a bit of research, and chose the one that seems most credible (i.e. where they appear to have actually considered the details of the job). If there is someone who charges to do a site survey + quote who looks particularly impressive or comes personally recommended then it may be worth paying a bit. The idea promoted by someone on this thread that "if you don't pay don't expect good advice" is utterly preposterous unless they said to you upfront "you need to pay me to do a proper site survey and do a quote, otherwise I am just guessing". You get a feel for these people. If they give the impression that they can't be arsed or are not giving the problem the proper attention to detail (whether you pay them or not) avoid them like the plague.

I will ask a lot of questions and give a budgetary quote over the phone.

But I am not going to visit, and provide a specification unpaid, for them to hawk around to get the cheapest quotation from the East Europeans.

If I got the idea that anyone was a quote collector then I just tell them that I don't set out to be the cheapest. Reasonable but not the cheapest.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back