My radiators keep getting pinholes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in my house for 8 months now, and in that time 3 of our radiators have had to be replaced because of holes developing that cause a big bubble in the radiator then a leak (one of which resulted in a flooded room) - it seems to be corrosion causing it, and we did discover that the tank in the loft (and the radiators) were full of sludge, so we have drained the system and added inhibitor. but is there anything else we can do - or is the damage done? We assume that by draining the system we've moved dislodged sludge and exposed corrosion that would have eventually ended up in a hole anyway.

we're really lucky right now as we have an insurance policy that covers radiator (very unusual apparently!) but I'm worried they tell us to take a hike now that we've got out third radiator we're going to have to claim for.

any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Simply draining and then adding inhibitors is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Your system needs a proper clean and for peace of mind possibly a few new rads.

Check your system isn't pumping over, ie. water running out of the vent pipe that curves over the top of your smallest loft tank when the heating is running.

If it is, it needs correcting, because oxygen will constantly be introduced into the system causing rapid corrosion.

Also check for earth bonding on the heating pipes. I have heard of an electrical fault once that was causing pin-holing at an alarming rate on a newish system.

Sponsored Links
Yep check for stray currents one of the most overlooked reasons for pin holing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back