Myson Combi - CH pump failed, now pilot goes out - linked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post so be kind.

I have a Myson Midas B Combi boiler (2 pumps) and the central heating pump has failed. I thought that until it was fixed I would be able to use the hot water but after running a bath or a shower the pilot light goes out. I believe this to be due to overheating. Can anyone tell me if the two problems are linked? Is the CH pump needed to cool the system after the HW has been running?

I think I can replace the pump myself but I dont want to do this if the pilot light problem I have will not be cured by replacing the pump as i believe this would require the diagnostic skills of a heating engineer and if I'm gonna get someone out he may as well look at replacing the pump too.

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
Its quite easy to replace the pump if you just change the head.

Your boiler is very old now and should be changed pretty soon!

We dont see many of them any more and its possible the CH pump is used for an over run but thats unusual and most combis dont do that.

Its more likely to be caused by lime scale inside the primary heat exchanger.

That can be cleared by someone who knows how to but its very messy and few engineers ever do it. Possibly easier to add a pump over run for a few weeks until the boiler is replaced.

Tony

Thanks for your answer. I was hoping not to go the new boiler route but it looks like I might have to.

I have worries relating to the new rules governing condensing boilers and exemption certificates. I live in an end terrace but the end wall is basically someone elses garden. The current boiler is currently under the stairs and the flue is on this wall but there is absolutely no way I could get drainage to that part of the house. The only other option would be high in the kitchen but this would mean routing gas and central heating pipes to that side (concrete floor). This sounds very expensive and unattractive as there is not a great deal of room. Could I be forced to go this route with a new boiler? The assessment form I have seen for exemption certificates doesn't appear to take into account the financial implications of moving the boiler.

The only other option I can see if I cannot get an exemption is to have one of those Atmos drain free condensing boilers fitted but these are more costly and possibly higher maintenance than others. Any opinions on these now that they have been around a few years?

Jason

Condensate pump?

Loft installation with vertical flue?

Gas supply on the outside?

Boiler with long 50 mm flue pipes?

There are lots of possibilities and laterial thinking by a competent installer could provide a good solution.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The exemption certificate should take into account excessive installation costs due to re-siting.

You could always ask your neighbour if you could fit a condensate soakaway on his land. The flue exhaust could be taken care of with a pluming kit to send it vertical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back