Myson Midas overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I own a Myson Midas Si combi boiler (no I'm not proud!). From reading other posts I realise these aren't the best boilers in the world, but I can't afford a new one! Anyway, with HW off CH on everythings fine. HW on CH off, fine. HW on CH on, overheats water to about 80c then cuts off. comes back on hourish later then does the same. PLEASE help!

Sponsored Links
it's the fact that you can have one or the other that's strange. have you had a pump changed recently?

No, it has been fine since we moved in year before last. Started going a few months ago. But has been happening with more and more regularity.
Seems as though it is trying to heat the hot water when it's set to both. If I turn HW switch off it starts the CH pump again and i'ts fine, If I switch HW back on it starts to overheat again. Read on another post about turning the tap on and off several times to free the diverter valve, but this hasn't helped.

it sounds like its the dhw preheat stat (i think myson call it a dhw safety stat on the si) if it fails it can keep the boiler in a constant state of dhw preheat stopping it from switching over to ch. by switching the dhw off you're stopping the demand for dhw so it goes back to ch. there is no diverter valve on that boiler.

Sponsored Links
Any chance you can tell me roughly where it is or what it looks like? I'm fairly proficient with electronics so if you can describe what I'm looking for I can maybe sort it. Ta.

look underneath the boiler
do you have 2 sensors on 2 seperate pipes entering the dhw heat exchanger? one red, one blue.

Yes, Blue on the left red on the right, red one is covered in corroded copper! nice.

What do you think my chances are of getting a replacement?

readily available, bit expensive for what they are. i actually carry them as van stock because of the amount of midas' still installed in the ne

Oh well, can't be as expensive as a new boiler! Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and explain stuff to me. I'll give it a try and see if it solves it.
Thanks again,
mradam

they are wet pocket sensors so remember to turn off the cold water feed to the boiler.
mixed-smiley-020.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back