Mysterious moisture around windowframe corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

About a year ago I noticed some moisture build up around the bottom right hand corner of one of our first floor window frames.

When I inspected it at first I noticed that the on the exterior of the window the seal around the base of the window, seemed to need redoing so I carefully filled it up and hoped that would do it.

Some 6 months after having resealed the wooden window frame from the outside, I have noticed that the plaster is still damp for about a 6 inch radius around one of the base corners of the window frame and I am unsure now what might be causing it or a good way to find out.

I have attached three photos to better illustrate the damp patch

window_frame1.jpg

window_frame2.jpg

window_frame3.jpg

I would be interested to hear thoughts on what might be causing this or what might be a solution.

Many Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
More than likely just condensation. Do you have trickle vents in the head of the windows or are they not utilised in Belgium?

Probably just need to ventilate the room a bit more.

I concur, theres probably some cold bridging going on there and warm air loves to condensate on cold surfaces, ventilate well and try this first

No cold bridging, just condensation on window running down to sill and then off at the corner soaking wall.No great mystery.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

There's no ventilation that I can see, so presumably I just need to open the windows a bit more.

Thanks for the comments.

Just out of interest, are there any simple ways of creating improved ventilation? (apart from opening the windows! :) ) in general I mean . . . .

David

Either a trickle vent can often be retrofitted in the head of the window or an hit & miss vent through the wall.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, it's much appreciated

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back