Fitting A LCD TV Into A Corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to buy a flatscreen TV for our bedroom. The only logical place to fit it is in a corner otherwise fitted wardrobes will have to be dismantled and reassembled on a different wall, and doors will have to be hung from different sides.

Anyway, to let you see the problem I have, here's a photo of said corner :

Corner-1.jpg

The meaurements from the corner to the edge of the door frame is 19 and a half inches and from the corner to the edge of the window recess is just under 20 inches. I've measured from the edge of the door frame to the edge of the window recess and it's 27 inches. Obviously I don't want a TV 'jammed' into the corner nor do I want the frame of the TV to overlap the door frame or the window recess.

So, here's the problem :

What's the maximum size TV screen I could fit into the corner taking into account the TV surroundings? Also, I'll need a bracket (or will I - is there an alternative way to fit it into the corner - will a sturdy corner shelf suffice?) as the TV will be plugged into the socket near the top of the wall. Where's the best place on the wall to fit a 'swivel' bracket to allow a bit space to manoeuvre the TV?

I've convinced myself that this TV would be suitable. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL20S...reeview/dp/tech-data/B000IB59BQ/ref=de_a_smtd It looks a tidy TV and the important details are 49.7m width and 9.9m depth (without pedestal).

I'm now unsure whether to go for a bracket (I'm not familiar with all this finding studs on plasterboard walls and then if necessary fix battens to allow the bracket to be secured - or a simple shelf (I would imagine the TV would be adjustable on it's pedestal?) There might not be enough room to manoeuvre a bracket?

What would you recommend? Your help is most appreciated
[/url]

Sponsored Links
That TV's about 20 inch wide.

Try to stick to one measurement method. The norm nowadays is metric, thank god.

49 metre wide telly? I doubt it. 49 centimetre perhaps? Thats about 20 inch.

Brakcets with an arm are available, so fixing in a corner is fine, but fix to the strongest wall, most likely next to the window here.

Use very strong fixings, such as metal shield anchors:
eye-bolt-projecting-bolt.jpg

the two on the right.

These have a threaded rod with a "bell" end (sorry lol). As you tighten the nut against the wall, the bell goes up inside the metal shield, and expands it, giving a very secure and rigid fixing.

Alternatively coach bolts and the biggest rawlplugs you can find, would be a good idea, but the bracket might come with some. Might. And ensure you follow the instructions RE drill size etc.

Just look at the dimension of various tv's make a template & offer it up

Sponsored Links
When i was measuring up the chimmy for a LCD, i found a old picture which was pretty much the same size as a 40" LCD, just hung that up and you could see if you wanted bigger or smaller! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back