LCD TV wall fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit an LCD tv to the bedroom wall.
The tv is a 26" which weighs 8.6Kg.
The wall is lathe & plaster, & I can get to the other side of the wall as its in a cupboard.
I was thinking of making a sandwhich using 6mm ply.
My plan is to have a piece of ply about 12" x 12" on the outside wall & a piece on the inside about 18" x 30", these would be held together using coach bolts.
Then fixing the tv bracket to the outside piece of ply.

The only part I think maybe a bit weak is using 6mm for the outside as this will then have the tv bracket fitted.

Would appreciate some views.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't advise using the laths to bear the weight though. Here's what I'd do (I've done similar)

Find the VERTICAL space between the tv bracket fixing points (top to bottom) then, where you need the bracket, behind the wall, fix two horizontal noggins (at least 4x2) this far apart so the bolts will fix into these noggins. To fit the noggins in place (they should be snug), use two coach bolts at each joint, long enough so they go at least 4cm into the horizontal member.

Untitled-6.jpg

This will give you two sturdy timbers to fix to. To make sure you drill the right spot, drill through from behind BEFORE you fix the timbers, as a reference point so you know where to drill for real from the front. These holes can be filled later, but they will be hidden behind the telly.

When you come to mount the bracket, you should use longer bolts than those supplied, so they penetrate deep into the structural timber behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back