Plasma/LCD tvs fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus and I are considering asking Santa Claus for an LCD/Plasma tv for Christmas and we are hoping to fix this to the wall in our lounge. Can anyone advise on the best way to fix the tv to the wall ie. recommended bracket or DIY method and what about the wires? I can see we're going to have at least two wires running to the TV - anyone got tips on how to conceal these from view?

Incidentally, the wall it will go on is a brick wall but not an external wall (its a party wall)

Sponsored Links
Fixing bracket, is dependant on size, once you know what size tv, have a look at the brackets, there are lots of on line suppliers. Sorry cant rember where I got my last one, but it would have been the cheapest. :LOL:

This is usually a very simple job: select a bracket to take the weight of the TV and check that the fixing holes will line up with the tapped holes on the back of the set.

Check for concealed cables where you're going to mount the TV. Mark, level, drill and plug in the usual way. Get help lifting the TV onto its mount if it's too heavy to handle easily.

Concealing the cables is easily done with D-section trunking, widely available in a variety of colours.

Buy a proper bracket, don't try and cobble something together.

Brackets ain't cheap, but cheaper than replacing your TV :cool:

Sponsored Links
For proper job relocate aeriel feed and power socket behind tv location chasing wall to accept cable and make good.Don't mount the tv too high or watching it becomes a pain in the neck. Centre of screen should be at eye level.

For proper job relocate aeriel feed and power socket behind tv location chasing wall to accept cable and make good.Don't mount the tv too high or watching it becomes a pain in the neck. Centre of screen should be at eye level.

I always lay down when I watch MY tv.

I think people that wall mount seem to do it for effect rather than watchability.
You hear them all say my tv is wall mounted, where is the hard drive mounted.?

Andrew - I'm with Diyisfun on this one; IMO wall-mounted screens in lounges look pretentious, invasive and jolly uncomfortable to watch (they always seem to be mounted too high). The only, IMO, acceptable locations for this type wall mounted installation are; kitchens, offices, or modern open-plan (Holywood style) living spaces. And of course there's always the issue of accommodating the various Sky & DVD boxes, and the dangling cables ... commonly 'hidden' in surface mounted trunking (Yuk!).

Consider mounting your new telly on a floorstand ... not one of those, IMO, naff glass-shelf-4-chrome-leg-jobbies ... but something a bit more stylish (Google for TV floorstands or variations of this), there are 100's of great designs available.

If you really do want to hang the tackle on the wall, others here have indicated what to look-out for: match the weight of the screen to the appropriate bracket; fixed mounting or tilt & pan, or tilt, or fully adjustable ('broken-arm' type). Obtain an outlet plate (for behind the screen) with power, aerial-satellite, HDMI all in one.

You have a party wall so be VERY, VERY careful about drilling into this, or even chasing this out for burying cables. Do not assume that this party wall is 2 bricks thick + cavity; I've seen some built in the early 50's, when building materials were scarce shortly after the big bun-fight with Jerry, only being a single thick. Imagine drilling holes for Rawlbolts and chasing a channel in something so thin ... what will the neighbours say when you break through the other side? And while we're on about neighbours, you'll need their OK to do anything to the party wall.

Do send the letter 'up the chimney' to Santa but include the floorstand, then on Chrissy morning all you have to do is get the stuff out the boxes, assemble it, plug-in, lie-back with a sherry & mince pie to watch that old German woman's show at 3.

Symptoms - i think i'm with you on this one but may get overuled by the missus. Its for space saving more than anything else cos the kids toys are taking over the lounge so we're hoping to replace the existing tv stand with a toy chest!! Still not convinced about surface mounted ducts for wires and as you say what do i do with the DVD player, the sky box and the video player?? Anyway, i'll try and talk her round.

No worries on the party wall thickness, house built in 1890 and the wall is minimum 600mm!! Thanks for the warning about the Party Wall Act, shouldn't be a big issue (not the magazine). Oh, and you leave Lizzie alone - she's my mate (qualified by being within 30ft of her on several occasions!)

Andrew - you wrote: "... the kids toys are taking over the lounge ... " plakka storage boxes and only allow them one toy out at a time :LOL:

also

"Oh, and you leave Lizzie alone - she's my mate (qualified by being within 30ft of her on several occasions!)" A series of opportunities the Bolshevik's wouldn't have passed-up :evil:

Present a well researched case to SWMBO, pic of beautiful stands from the web, stress the ugly nature of up-the-wall trunking (& how her friends will secretly sneer at that botch), and how footballer's taste are hanging TVs.

You have a party wall so be VERY, VERY careful about drilling into this, or even chasing this out for burying cables.

I found this out the hard way, courtesy of Hilti Corp. :LOL:

My house was built in 1890's as well

Slightly off topic, but I have to mention this. A few years ago, I was replacing my kitchen. I live in a terrace and was also taking the chimney breast out in the kitchen (2 x 100mm RSJs taking the load) I kept in with the neighbours and all went well. Before plastering over where the old chimney breast in, I decided to sink the back box for my cooker switch into the brickwork. Knowing how delicate my bricks are (1890 house as well) I decided to remove a brick and use an angle grinder to make a neat cut. I duly chiselled out the brick. That's strange I thought, where's the other course. I shine my torch in the gap, and imagine my surprise when I found myself looking at the inside of my neighbours chimney breast. I mounted the box and got that brick back in there sharpish.

Thanks for all the advice re the party wall. I have double checked (neighbours did wonder why i wanted to take a couple of measurements in her front room to put a tv up in ours) and using measurements internally and externally to the window openings we've definately got at least 600mm of wall to play with. MarkBarl - also don't seem to have the problem with delicate bricks - recently installed a timber bearer on one of our internal brick walls as part of our ongoing loft conversion which required 8no. 10mm dia holes for the bolts to go right through the wall. Took half a day to drill the 8 holes in bricks described by my father-in-law as 'hard as bell-metal'!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back