Fixings for an LCD bracket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps..

Yet another question for the assembled. I'd like to wall mount our 46" lcd, picked up the bracket yesterday from Screwfix but just couldn't get my head around which set of fixings to go with it.

It's being mounted on a brick chimney breast (not used/filled in) that has been drylined with 2x1 battens and 12.5mm plasterboard. I can easily remove the plasterboard where I want to mount it (not skimmed yet) and I'm planning to put some more 2x1 inline with the bracket to spread the load.

So what would you recommend for fixing thru: Plasterboard > 2x1 Timber > Brick?

Did see http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41972...ischer-A2-Sleeve-Anchors-10-x-100mm-Pack-of-5 but there's so many others to choose from last thing I want to do is pick the wrong one and take a gamble it'll stay up.
I've also seen these recommended M-Form Bolts but I'll be damned it I can find them on screwfix unless they are a combination of frame fixers (for the wall plug) and then matching coach bolts? Or can these be bought somewhere else?

Many thanks!

Rob

Sponsored Links
If you go for the plastic sleeve coach bolts - drill hole, squirt a load of no-nails in and push in sleeves and allow glue to go off overnight or longer. If you're struggling to source the hexagonal head pack, there's nothing to prevent you using the plastic sleeves from the posi-drive kits (a couple fo quid from screwfix for 10 - window fixings) and buying some coachbolts of the correct gauge from BQ. ;)

Alternatively, http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100058/Fixings/Shield-Anchors - you will probably have to drill the bracket's holes out a bit wider.

I can easily remove the plasterboard where I want to mount it (not skimmed yet)
No need, use a copper pipe as a sleeve from the brickwork to the front of the plasterboard, on mine I've used the rawlbolts for the wall bracket

Well I managed to grab some M10x95 Anchor bolts from B&Q. Checked the bracket with some equivalent M10 bolts and they'll fit fine (snug but fine).

But I have to say I'm begining to wonder if there's belt n braces or overkill with these fixings?.. Ok sure they cost a fair wedge 11quid for 4 and I know that I should have pretty good piece of mind they'll stay put, but wouldn't frame fixers or a decent rawl plug and say an M10 coach screw work just as efficiently? I'm only querying it as while I've been trawling to get fixings information I kept coming across a perhaps 'brave' bunch that seemed to believe that standard brown plugs and say a 4" screw would be ample to hold up for example the 19kg's of my tv..

Part of me is trying to justify the cost xx for the bracket, more for the fixings+extra drill bit (I know I shouldn't but hey tis that time of year where the wallets permanently empty!) the other part is going down the "yer but if you don't use them and it falls off bang goes xxxpounds of tv"..

Whats your thoughts on this overkill or worth it for the piece of mind aspect alone?

Edit > I should add... The only reason I think I've overcomplicated things (?) is down to the bracket (Vivanco Titan from Screwfix) didn't come with it's own wall fixings. Again this is something I've noticed while checking out brackets sub £70 seems you get pot luck if you get fixings or not beyond that it's included. (Or maybe it's just screwfix?)

Thanks for listening..

Sponsored Links
Cut out plasterboard to dimension of fixing plate and replace with ply to match existing depth and fix to wall then screw bracket to ply wall plate.

Well unfortunately bad news...

Got started tonite.. Had everything measured/cut put the battens in where they should be behind the mount. Fitted the plasterboard and with the aid of a cardboard mockup tested out the height.. SWMBO had said it'll be too high... yer yer it'll be fine.. :eek: Crap she was right! :oops:

Never to be put off.. (especially after begrudgingly admitting she was right) removed all the board and set about repositioning everything.. Thats when I realised the issue.. The brickwork where the battens needs to go is awful. No bricks loose mind just v rough and very uneven, looks like whoever filled in the original fireplace (to fit a gas fire) did it pretty rough (have to be careful with the blame here as being my granddads old house this could have been done by him or my dad! DOH!) it bows in a hell of a lot.
Did a couple of test holes for the M10x100 fixings (taking into account batten+plasterboard) although didn't go through the brick into the chimney felt & sounded very close. Fastened a batten in as best as possible but when I tried to pull/push down on it felt pretty unstable and I'm not sure I'd be happy chancing it with the tv.

So I'm essentially stuck... I either put the bracket in the "wrong" place and try and live with it (won't work.. It'll annoy the hell out of me). Find an alternate fixing solution which can cope with old/crumbly brick? Or build a stud wall in front of the chimney with plenty of fastenings in "good" brick and fasten to that. I know ultimately that the brick work should be rectified but I know my skill level won't stretch to patching the brickwork (I know how my luck is and I'd rather not have the chimney down on me!)and time/money is short.

I could be worrying over nothing here.. It could be that with the battens up/board up and then bracket with the M10x100 would pull it altogether nice and snug and it'll stay there till well the next project. The stud wall option is growing on me as I've worked it out in my head, I'm not disrupting the wall anymore than I need to and the bracket should fasten to that quite nicely.

Any opinions or further advice?

Thanks again for the assist so far!

Rob

Go for the stud wall, fixed to the floor and ceiling - then the TV isn't putting any of its weight to the brickwork, and neither is the wall. You'll need 4 inch timbers though, same as a room divider.

If it was me I would remove the plasterboards and batten and put in a timber stud wall with plywood plus plasterboard on top then the bracket can go anywhere, don't forget to plan it early if you want to hide the wiring/cable

Would I be right in assuming 4"x2" (or 100x47 in this new fangled money)? Is ample for the job?

Still annoyed at myself for not really checking the WHOLE wall.. Just got tunnel visioned thinking I'm nearly done I can relax before the madness that is xmas :rolleyes: ho hum.. But it also irks that it's just where the damn tv SHOULD be.. oh well..

Thanks for the suggestions of the stud wall, keep the advice coming I'll need it!! Must set a deadline of this weekend to get it sorted, carpet down (loose).. But we'll see!

Cheers!

I used my method without problem before, also used to hang a heavy bathroom sink on a crumbling wall, just added structural expanding foam as additional support.

I do get what your saying Foxhole (and think I can picture how it works in my head..) my only concerns with that idea is the area the ply would be fastened to is the worst part of the wall. I'll try to get a picture shortly to show.

On the other hand, if I go down the stud wall route I can bring the chimney out to a total depth of 450mm (about 200m deeper than now or there abouts) allows me to build some decent sized cupboards in the alcoves to place the rest of the AV gear.

Anyone else got any further opinions?

You could replace some of the brickwork within the offending area. Whereabout in Manchester are you?

Thanks Dextrous,

Eccles area in lovely errr Sunny salford! :cool:

But good news.. Not one to give up (most of the time.. But bricky stuff been there made a c*ck of it!) had another look at the problem. Answer had been staring at me for ages. Whats that old saying.. Right tool for the right job? I'd been using just plain ol brown rawlplugs to fix the battens, why not sacrifice a couple of the m10x100 fischer frame fittings? If it didn't work I've wasted 2..

Well smack me with the stupid stick.. It worked and worked well!! Battens now up and level RESULT!.. So tomorrow night will be making good the rest of the battens (not much to do) then back on with the plasterboard and FINALLY the tv bracket.. The end is in sight once again!

A HUGE thanks for the help and ideas guys. I'll file them for next time... (if there is one.. Is it still against the law to murder SWMBO?) Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know how I get on..

Rob - Happy chappy once again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back