Which fixing to use for a TV bracket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm wanting to put up a 32" TV wall mount in my apartment, it's a tilting bracket type, which came with 10mm x 50mm rawlplugs and associated bolts to fix the bracket to the wall. the TV weighs around 15kg.

The problem is, the wall I want to fix it to is very thick plasterboard; the total thickness of the wall before the cavity is around 40mm, and then the cavity itself is pretty large, I'd say at least another 50mm before you get to the insulation on the outer wall - the apartment is on the corner of the apartment block. All the cavity wall fixings I can find have a maximum thickness of around half that, 24mm. The wall is too powdery and weak in my opinion for the standard rawlplugs to be sufficient. Should I go for some of those spring wall anchors and just get long enough bolts to fit all the way through, again the bolts that come in those packages seem to only fit around 24mm. Plus I don't like how thin those are compared to the 10mm bolts that came with the kit. Or does anyone know of a manufacturer of expanding bolts that would work on a 40mm cavity wall?

Thanks,
Gareth

Sponsored Links
If you have 40mm of plasterboard you can use standard wall plugs, easily enough strength, just put my 32 inch screen on single plasterboard wall using standard plasterboard plugs and very secure.

Sponsored Links
40 mm of plasterboard, thats a lot of plasterboard,

Plasterboard comes in 9.5/12.5 mm thickness, sounds like the board is dab fixed to another surface. Would check that out first.
Metal Toggle Bolt Anchors are a tried and tested method of securing Medium to Heavy weight objects to cavity walls and come in different sizes/lengths

with such a big gap, isn't the plasterboard fixed to wooden studs?

is it a party wall where they have been trying to soundproof?

Plasterboard comes in 9.5/12.5 mm thickness, sounds like the board is dab fixed to another surface. Would check that out first.
Metal Toggle Bolt Anchors are a tried and tested method of securing Medium to Heavy weight objects to cavity walls and come in different sizes/lengths

I originally thought that might be the case, but I thought dab fixed walls didn't have cavities? also Wherever I've drilled, the thickness has been the same on this wall.

I originally thought that might be the case, but I thought dab fixed walls didn't have cavities? also Wherever I've drilled, the thickness has been the same on this wall.

I was thinking that someone has fixed the Plasterboard to another boarding underneath, (Lathe and plaster Possibly) that could account for the 40mm thickness

how old is the building, and is it a conversion?

What is beyond the 40mm?

Can you drill even further into the wall itself and screw into that with very long screws?

That ought to be more secure than the unknown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back