LCD tv wall fixing

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'm thinking of mounting a 42inch lcd tv on my wall in the corner. I will be using a cantilever wall bracket that can hold up to 68kgs. The weight of the tv is 31.5kgs. The bracket will be fixed at one of the walls in the corner and the tv will be turned to face the room diagonally.

The wall that i want to fix it to is made from thermolite brick. It backs on to a cupboard in the hall so i will drill through and use threaded bar and fit a plate washer on the other side. Does this seem adequate?

I would like to fit it above my fire but i am concerned that the height my cause neck problems. Anyone have any recommendations on how high these tvs should be mounted?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i think you need to be more worried about the height above the fire and the effects of the heat on it. Im sure its been covered on other similar posts on the forum.

hi,

yea have thought about the effects of the fire, wonder if the manufacturer can give information on the position in relation to the fire. Although its probably out the question now thats why i'm going to mount it in the corner.

I'm pretty sure that threaded bar through the thermolite brick and a plate washer should be suitable. Just need advice from more experienced guys who have good idea of the strength of these blocks and if my method will work as these tv's are heavy.

RMS said:
I'm pretty sure that threaded bar through the thermolite brick and a plate washer should be suitable. Just need advice from more experienced guys who have good idea of the strength of these blocks and if my method will work as these tv's are heavy.
Just done mine last week, I've used a large washer with a spring washer and a locking nut then sealant to prevent rain/damp and coated it with hammerite paint over it. (M10 Threaded Rod)

Sponsored Links
hi,

I take it u used an outside wall?

Just wondering if thermolite block alone would be strong enough.

At that weight i would have thought so easily. its probably less than your kitchen cupboard on the wall thats stuffed with cans of beans and bottles of drink! The cantilever tv brackets for normal tvs hold a lot more weight and the weight is away from the wall, so its acting as a lever, and ive never had any problems with those.

RMS said:
I take it u used an outside wall?
Yes
Just wondering if thermolite block alone would be strong enough.
Yes it will be okay providing the holes are the correct size and use square plate washer, don't over tighten otherwise cracked thermolite blocks.

To put your mind at rest, put a threaded rod through the wall and temporary hang something heavy on it and it will not go anywhere even with no nuts etc! I take it the internal wall is 4" blocks :?: Anything less then best to ring the manufacter for advice, I would say best to ring them anyway to be sure.

A little tip, I always drill holes slightly downward

My son TV bracket fittings come with 2 1/2" rawlplug :!: So the manufacter think it okay :!:

RMS said:
Hi all,

i'm thinking of mounting a 42inch lcd tv on my wall in the corner. I will be using a cantilever wall bracket that can hold up to 68kgs. The weight of the tv is 31.5kgs. The bracket will be fixed at one of the walls in the corner and the tv will be turned to face the room diagonally.

The wall that i want to fix it to is made from thermolite brick. It backs on to a cupboard in the hall so i will drill through and use threaded bar and fit a plate washer on the other side. Does this seem adequate?

I would like to fit it above my fire but i am concerned that the height my cause neck problems. Anyone have any recommendations on how high these tvs should be mounted?

Hi, I sell these TV's and have been trading for 20 years so I have been around from the start. Although I am not a builder, the first point is that, in my opinion, the strongest part of any constrction is the corners so I feel the location is fine. The weight ratio, again, is fine providing large enough washers are used both sides of the wall to prevent both cracking of the plaster and to prevent the threaded bolt pulling through the hole.

With regard to fitting above the fire, I would recommend you don't. A plasma TV may survive the heat but an LCD will not. An LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) picture will distort and the colours will bleed into each other. You will not damage the TV, but you will not be happy with the picture. Obviously is is not a good idea to have RF and/or screened cables in a hot enviroment either.

You are correct about the neck problem. The ideal height for a TV is eye level. That is to say that the centre of the TV screen should be at eye level. You should never have to move your head from a comfortable position to watch TV.

By the way, you've made a good decision buying an LCD over a plasma (just my opinion, not shared within the industry)

Hi, I sell these TV's and have been trading for 20 years so I have been around from the start

i thought they were invented a bit before then! :LOL:

Thermo said:
Hi, I sell these TV's and have been trading for 20 years so I have been around from the start

i thought they were invented a bit before then! :LOL:

You are obviously attempting to make a joke, but I'm afraid I don't get it, sorry mate (not having a dig, genuinely don't get it). I was selling TX10's in the 80's and I sold some of the first plasmas and LCD's when they hit the High Street.

I'm not trying to be clever, just trying to help the guy.

Bambi, i thought you were refering to selling tvs in general, hence why i made the comment about how long theyve been about! No offence taken and none intended.

Thats what the forums all about, a bit of help, with maybe a smile on the way! :D

Bambi

Intersting opinion about LCD over plasma. I'm not really that 'techno' savvy and just go on what I see and I must say I still think my Cathode Ray Tube Thomson has a better picture than anything I see in Currys!

Perhaps you could explain the reasons? Is it just the industry wanting us to 'move on' to the next new thing? I watch these plasma screens and for a still picture they look great, but as soon as there is any movement they seem to 'drag' if you get my drift!

Sorry for the thread creep.

PilotPete said:
Bambi

Intersting opinion about LCD over plasma. I'm not really that 'techno' savvy and just go on what I see and I must say I still think my Cathode Ray Tube Thomson has a better picture than anything I see in Currys!

Perhaps you could explain the reasons? Is it just the industry wanting us to 'move on' to the next new thing? I watch these plasma screens and for a still picture they look great, but as soon as there is any movement they seem to 'drag' if you get my drift!

Sorry for the thread creep.
Plasma was a stop-gap before LCD screens could be manufactured large enough, cheaply enough. LCD screens will last a lot longer and can now ive a picture equivalent to, or better than, any plasma screen.

The gas in a plasma screen eventually wears out (we're talking 5+ years here) - remember a plasma screen is essentially thousands of tiny fluorescent tubes, whereas an LCD screen will last longer with no maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back