TV on stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone could help me.

I want to mount a 42" LG LCD on a stud wall, before the plaserboard was put up on the stud wall I put a load of wood inside where I want the tv, the wood was pretty sturdy.

Do you think this would be strong enough to hold a 42" TV?

If so what would be the best fixings to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are positive where the wood is and it IS strong enough then a good 10x1.5inch would do.

Offer up the bracket, mark the screw hole (but in a way you can rub out if wrong), and then drill test/pilot holes with a small drill bit. If you hit thin air then you're in the wwrong place :( but you've only got small holes to fill :D or if you hit wood then you know you're in the right place.

A stud wall should easily hold the weight.

Just make sure the screw goes far enough into the timber, that it won't be ripped out by the weight.

Sponsored Links
I use an AV company regularly who will put up a 42" TV with the right plasteboard fixings and no wood reinforcement. They take the warranty on that though. I always fix a sheet of ply between the studs behind the plasterboard, this has the added benefit that you can fix anywhere.

When I hung my tv in the bedroom I used coach bolts to hold the bracket to the stud work. I could probably hang my 16 stone off that bracket now.

Hi. I put all kinds of tv up for a well known retailer. What bracket do you have? Swing arm or flat to wall?

If its a swing arm, then as the above post says, a decent coach bolt into the stud will suffice. if its a flat to wall, then no extra stress is likely on it, so use the screws that come with the bracket, if its new.

try a "hang anywhere bracket" from AVF. they are about £80, but if all else fails, they will support onto a sheet wall if needed. they are guarenteed for it.

Hope it helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back