Flat screen tv on a stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to get a 32" LCD flat screen tv and would like to wall mount it in the bedroom but the wall I would like it on appears to be a stud wall.

Is there a solution for fitting this?

When you look around, the mounting units don't seem to differentiate between walls but one would have thought a stud wall wouldn't be strong enough.

Simon

Sponsored Links
a stud wall will easily cope with a flat screen t.v., you just need to screw into the uprights. either that or counterbatten.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

just a follow up - if I'm screwing directly into the uprights - do i drill a hole and then put the screw in or do i just screw straight into the wood?

Ta

Simon

Depends if they are wood or steel studs and how big the screws are!

We have steel stud walls and I wouldn't want to hang much on them!

The brackets for a 32" TV are not that wide and so only one side of it will hit an upright.

To counter this I have seen people put up wooden boarding screwed onto two of the stud wall uprights, the bracket has then been fixed to this. I have seen a couple of them and one looked awful whereas the other treated the wood to match the furniture and it looked pretty good. The TV was secure and the surround looked like it was a decoration feature rather than just a bit of wood to fix the TV too.

A good place for ideas would be the AV forums DIY section (http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59), as you may also want to consider trunking the cables to hide them.

Thanks folks - the bracket is wide enough (it's a 42" bracket that's just right) and covers two uprights just nicely.

Will try later. thanks again

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back