LCD TV Wall Mount on Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to mount a 26" LCD TV on a wall in the bedroom but the wall in only a plasterboard covered stud wall. I have checked for studs and sods law there are none where the bracket will fit.

The TV weighs approx 18KG what are your views on the best way to mount it and it not end up on the floor!!! :eek:

My thoughts at the moment are to cut into the wall and add a short harizontal stud (4"x2") between the current 2 vertical studs but this will make a real mess and require replastering.

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
duxster said:
I have checked for studs and s***s law there are none where the bracket will fit.
Is there a studs on each end within the TV width?

Don't know if it's possible, cut the plasterboard section out within the TV size and screw the 18mm plywood to the stud then fix the brackets onto the plywood, you shouldn't see the plywood once the TV is fitted.

You could also use toggle fixing for the brackets acting as a nut & bolt.

Sponsored Links
similar thought how about fixing a wooden "plate" across the studwork (surface mounted) and paint it same colour as wall fix bracket to this

alternatively move the tv 9 inches to one side

Thanks for your ideas, I had a look the other night and though I would look at the stud wall from above. Went in the loft and hay presto the stud wall is open at the top.

The TV bracket has a small base to fix to the wall (approx 100mm sq) so I am thinking of doing the following.

I am going to drop a 2x6 down the stud cavity exactly where I need it for the bracket. I have tested this and the new stud will be a nice snug fit and the new stud will go from floor to ceiling inside the wall. I will then nail the plasterboard to this new stud along it's length , both sides. These nails will be skimmed and sanded smooth.

I will then fix the TV mount to the new 6" wide stud.

What so you think?

Rob

Best to use plasterboard screws, the only problem I can see you won't have any fixing on the bottom of the new stud fixed to the bottom wallplate unless you bang in some 1 1/2" oval nail at the end of the stud and cut off the nail head and bang the stud from the top to push into the bottom wallplate.

Just has another thought, you could even chop out the stud to fix a bigger square 18mm plywood screw onto the stud to save you hit & miss with the TV bracket if it's not line correctly.

Thanks for your comments, I was going to drive some screws in to the footer though the plaster board to fix the bottom.

Do you mean rebate the new stud and fix a plywood plate in at approx the location of the wall bracket? I like that idea....

Robert

duxster said:
Do you mean rebate the new stud and fix a plywood plate in at approx the location of the wall bracket? I like that idea....
Yes :D

You could even use toggle fixing to act as a nut & bolt

Might be also an idea to use to nuts/bolts in centre line when fixing the plywood to the stud so the TV bracket holes doesn't hit the bolt head.

the words masona and god have been used in the same sentance on more than one occasion :)

An idea my mate did following a problem similar to yours
He got a chrome finish pole, similar to a scaffold pole but a lot smaller in length and about 50mm in circumference.
He fixed this to a roof joist, cut a hole in the ceiling,dropped the pole down, attached the tv to the pole and hey presto, he had a floating tv which was sitting a few inches off the wall, he even passed the cables up through the pole which made it a much neater job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back