Hanging TV to wall - Need some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Mods plaese move it if it is.

I want to hang my LCD TV to the wall however the wall i want to hang it on is a stud wall but is also the outer wall of the house. So the make up of the wall is the external bricks, the studs with insulation in between and then plasterboard on top.

Now, doing some initial research and common sense, i know i need to attached the bracket to the studs, but what do i do if the studs are too far apart and i cant get both sides of the bracket into a stud?

I thought about creating some horizontal batons using some 2 x 4 which will attach to the studs and then attached the wall bracket to that. but not too sure if that will work and how secure that will be. Note the batons will be on top of the plasterboard. i wont be breaking the all down!

If i do that, the screws used to attached the bracket to the batons will go through the baton but will then go into the hollow bit of the wall. Will that be secure enough.

Im hoping someone has done this before and it is possible.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
If you were to securely fix a 4" x 2" timber batten to the upright studs then you could hang the tele and half the family off the batten no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back