Wall batons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am putting some vertical wall batons on the wall to attach plasterboard to. they are 400 mm apart and I was wondering if there would be any need for me to put any horizontal batons in aswell?

Sponsored Links
Just had a thought, I have put the batons vertically and I plan to attach the plasterboard vertically as well, so this will leave the bound edge going with the baton, will this be a problem? either way i put up the plasterboard will i need to put in horizontal batons as well?

I normally put a cross batten wherever a join will be, unless under skirting.
Depends how tall the wall is you are boarding, 2440mm+?

its about 2470mm. would you say 3 inches was too much gap to leave at th bottom?

also, is there a problem with having both batons and plasterboard going vertical?

Sponsored Links
If it's 2470mm then that's only 30mm - 1 1/4".
You can either leave the gap behind the skirting or if you are coving you could balance it out between the two.
Boards have to join in the middle of the batten hence setting them out at 400mm centres, every 3 battens will be a joint. Hopefully you have used a wide enough batten like 25x50mm. I don't want to sound patronising but make sure you board white face out from wall.
Hope this helps!?

edit: grammar :oops:

actualy, you didnt answer. does it matter that the bound edge of the plasterboard is going the same way as the batons

Is there a reason for that? and can you suggest any easy ways to put up plasterboard horizontally on my own?

Am I reading this wrong?
Noseall, are you saying boards should be fixed horizontally to battens fixed vertically? If so why?
The bound edge (or just the edge if you have to cut a sheet) needs to come in the middle of the width of the batten, eg. if using 2" x 1" one boards edge needs to come in 1" and the other the same to meet.
Or am I just not getting the question :confused:

Noseall is saying that plasterboard should be fixed horizontally to vertical batons. I would also like to know why as I am doing this on my own and I find it easier to fix the plasterboard vertical

you just turn the plasterboard not the battens!

that's what i was going to do! i just wanted to know as I have no help with this how would I hold the plasterboard up horizontally and screw it in?

but why does the bound edge need to cross the battons anyway?

but why does the bound edge need to cross the battons anyway?
'cause that's what the m'f's say as it is provides the greatest strength and the least risk to cracking.

or should i say, why wouldn't you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back