plasma tv wall mount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, today we have put up a swivel arm wall mount for our 42" plasma tv. We have purchased the correct one, it holds up to a 60" tv and is meant to be a top bracket.
We followed all the instructions which were drill 6 holes, push in the wall plugs and attach the mount using the screws provided. This is what we did. But when my husband put pressure on the arm to make sure it would take the weight of the tv you could hear the scews pulling back out of the wall. What can we do.
We have a breeze block wall not a studded wall.
Thank you
Karen

Sponsored Links
We followed all the instructions...
Karen

Well there is your mistake!

The holes should be drilled to a depth so the plug goes all the way into the brick or block. SO if the plaster is 1/2" thick, you should shove it in 1/2" blelow the wall level.

Also what size plugs and screw were provided?

Did they state which size drill to use and did the screws drive home so they tightened to refusal?

Sponsored Links
Hi wavetrain thanks for answering me. Yes it stated the correct drillbit ti use and we used the one they said but my husband has said one of the screws just kept turning while theothers did tighten up but did not get that tight you hsd to stop

Personally I would use a resin bonded fixing rather than a plug or expanding fixing. Fischer do small tubes for one-off DIY use. Check with Screwfix I'm sure they do them.

Never been a fan of those resin based wall fixings. Good old fashioned fixings work for me every time. I suppose it may have its uses though, but when you have a sold wall to anchor to why would you use a resin fixing?

Never been a fan of those resin based wall fixings. Good old fashioned fixings work for me every time. I suppose it may have its uses though, but when you have a sold wall to anchor to why would you use a resin fixing?

Well, the good old fashoned ones aren't doing the job here are they. I wouldn't ordinarily jump straight to a resin fixing - just on cost apart from anything else - but swivel mounts produce a fair old moment on the fixing point and with a 42" screen on the end bouncing about like a nodding dog anything less than a perfect fix will slowly but surely ratchet apart. The resin fix may not itself be perfect of course but in my experience they are a lot more reliable than the average expanding plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back