Mystery Damp Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a damp patch on the corner of a house and am really struggling to understand where the water is coming from.

It starts right behind the soil stack which is right on the corner of the building. It spreads upwards and to the right, but there is no damp lower down as you move to the right (above the patio drain area. The photo isn't that clear but it is damp higher up on the right side as well).

The lead water feed comes in through the alleyway and turns into the building right where this corner is. I have been under the floor today to check the pipe work down there and all is ok. The lead comes through the wall and then goes up and changes to plastic (i did this work 4 yrs ago). The void under the patio line is about 1m high in there.

The water company has been out to check the soil pipe and drain connection and all ok. The actual soil stack is just a vent. The toilet connects into the sewer directly underground. The photo of the lead water has the down pipe next to it, but it is encased in a rough concrete mix done when the house was built 1930's approx.

They have checked the main water pipe for leaks by listening to the pipe work and no leaks on the water feed.

The waste pipe for an occasional sink is working fine and no leaks.

Possible culprits:

It is possible the flashing for the soil stack is faulty and so rain water tracks down the stack in heavy rain and the wall sucks up the water that way. The flashing was fitted 4 yrs ago and i think this was an issue hence the rotted weather boarding on the eaves.

The pointing on the house needs redoing. Could water be entering higher up via the pointing and tracking downwards ?

Something to do with cavity wall insulation which has been added over the years ?

Speaking to the water company today there have been water pressure issues with this house in 2006, but i have only been working on it since 2013. There don't seem to be any pressure issues in the last 4 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 212
Sponsored Links
Have you checked the waste pipe? And then checked it again?

It's not going to be the cavity wall insulation as the walls are solid brick....

I will check again, but i have run the sink and cannot see any leak plus it is not used that much.

I will double check as i didn't get my head right down to the elbow on the corner.

I am sure the walls are cavity. On the EPC cert it says cavity walls.

The front and rear are probably cavity. The alleyway looks like it's solid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back