Mystery manholes

That's an interesting map. On "water wells" it shows a green triangle at the end of my road, where there used to be an old agricultural tractor shed (since burned down and houses put up)

I can't see how to get any more detail about it though.

Change the "Current query layer:" drop down to water wells, then click on the
identify_2.gif
button and then click the trianle, you should get a pop up with the details

e.g.

REFERENCE REGNO LOCATION EASTING NORTHING DEPTH YEAR DATUM AQUIFER DIGITISED GEOLOGICAL CONSTRUCT HYDROGEOL CHEMICAL
1 SJ38/17A SJ38NE10/A/BJ HIGSONS BREWERY NO. 1 WELL 335020 388980 0 15.24 UNKNOWN Yes No Yes Yes Yes[/img]

Sponsored Links
thanks

it says

DEPTH

YEAR

DATUM

but this must be out of date, the farm buildings were disused over 10 years ago and houses built on the site (after the old farmer died, I was going out one evening when I saw the tractor shed was alight (arsonists) so I called the FB).

I presume Datum means "height above mean sea level" or similar, which is about right

It has EASTING NORTHING so I presume I could find it on a large scale map in case there is a visible cap in the pavement or anything.

JohnD said:
I presume Datum means "height above mean sea level" or similar, which is about right

Its now refered to an Ordnance Datum which is related to sea level at Newlyn in Cornwall.

Tony

The obvious next action for the OP is to buy a submersible pump with a head rating of at least 50m and use to provide your non drinking water supplies!

Its interesting the second item. Why would anyone want to bore a second well so close ???

I would guess that it was to provide agricultural irrigation water.

I think you are allowed to extract a small amount of water before a Licence becomes necessary.

Tony

Sponsored Links
OP here - looked on the NGS map (thanks for the link) and its a borehole from a nearby construction project c 20 years ago. No idea wha the other manhole/ valve assembly is though. Underground tank is the best anyone locally can come up with, but no remaining sign of any pipework!

This may help

http://194.66.252.141/website/gdi/viewer.htm?Title=GeoIndex

Use the toolbar to zoom in. Once you've zoomed in enough you'll be able to select 'Borehole records' from the drop-down menu on the right hand side. Click 'redraw map' and the borehole locations should appear.

You can select borehole information using the 'i' button or Area select on the Query section of the toolbar

A great site this,
I havent found our borehole/well though. In quite a few gardens in this area there are boreholes with water some 15m down. Most are too small to get down but ours is approx 3m across with water extraction pipes coming out of it. The top looked like a normal inspection chamber when we found it under a slab of concrette, however it is a bell topped well. The pipes are live, as we undid a flange on one and tested the water coming from it. Clean enough to drink but not known of by Anglian Water or the local and County Council.

Strange???

Tony

Agile wrote

Why would anyone want to bore a second well so close ???

No water or not enough in the first hole ??. :(
Some drilling companies offer a much more precise and accurate geological survey before drilling. Perhaps adding up to 5k to the cost but a good water supply will be pretty much guranteed.
I know of one farmer who had a bore hole drilled and the supply was unable to cater for his operation.
A second company carried out detailed surveys. Precisely drilled down between a geological fracture and obtained copious supplies.

The obvious next action for the OP is to buy a submersible pump with a head rating of at least 50m and use to provide your non drinking water supplies!

He's still got a dead borehole pump down the bore hole.
A drain jetter or mains water connected to the pipe might free up the sediment enough to pull the pump up.

Maybe they drilled the 2nd borehole when someone pulled the cable off the pump in the first borehole. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back