Mystery sound in heavy rain - downpipe or leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I posted a couple of weeks ago as during a very heavy rain fall I heard this slow hollow drip from above my bedroom ceiling in the area of the eaves very close to where my downpipe is. The sound was like a hollow drip (bit like when rain hits the plastic window sill) and was about 5-10 secs apart and stopped immediately when the rain went from heavy to moderate so no residue dripping as would be expected from a leak. Absolutely no sign of water in the roof space and there are no holes in the insulation felt. Strangely I could hear the noise (albeit quieter) in the room directly below where downpipe runs but no noise in the roof.

Got a roofer out and he found one broken tile and some moss near area of noise which he fixed....

All quiet for two weeks even in moderately heavy rain. Then had a massive downpour this afternoon and could hear the noise again right near the downpipe area. Went into the roof and again no sign at all of water or gaps in the felt. Could barely hear anything unless I literally put my ear into the eaves where the downpipe runs. Could hear the noise very faintly echoing as opposed to a drip.

So I am very perplexed!! My downpipe is completely vertical from the roof to the drain so no shoe which could make this noise. Also no idea why suddenly I am hearing a noise after four years. But no sign of water damage, broken tiles, gaps in roof felt etc apart from this v annoying noise in very heavy rain. As I hear the noise in the room and room below, but not the loft, can't see how it is a leak in the roof.... Am I going mad or has my downpipe somehow developed an irritating habit and why does this happen only in heavy rain and stop immediately as the rain falls off???? Any suggestions....

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/network/goldbyron/albums/

Have uploaded two pics to here - one is of the room, noise is heard to right of window very approx where the wall meets the ceiling. Downpipe on other side. Other pic of downpipe and roof outside. No sign of any damage to tiles or ridge - roofer fixed one tile last week but said no other signs. Downpipe and gutters don't appear to have flow problems.

I'm sticking to my original posts.

Maybe the roofer missed a broken tile(s)? It could be higher up the roof and water running down the felt.

Check the back of the downpipe next time you hear the drip and see if it's wet.

It wont be too difficult to eliminate possibilities.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Terrypin - I think I need to get some binoculars out! There doesn't seem to be any other broken tiles higher up but maybe I just can't spot it. As the drip starts and stops almost immediately in line with heavy rain I was assuming any leak was nearby.

I will check the downpipe next time - if the back is wet am I looking for whether the pipe is blocked and therefore overspilling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back