Downpipe Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our soffits, fascias and guttering done last year, but since then I get an annoying noise from one of the downpipes.

It's right on the wall next to my bed so is only about 2 foot away from my ear with only a wall between (and window next to it).

Whilst it's raining heavy enough there is no noise but if it's just drizzling or for a while after the rain stops it starts to drip making a large noise.

It is a downpipe that comes off the roof and goes straight down for a few inches then slopes back under the soffit, then down 2 storeys with no bends etc then an outlet at the bottom which is sloped, as the water hits the slope at the bottom you get the noise which seems to be amplified by the pipe.

It's loud enough to wake me up, then you get that constant dripping noise which drives you mad!

I did cut a piece of sponge to fit in the bottom which did the trick for a while but it keeps getting washed out during the rain, then I have to go out in the rain to put it back in :(

Are there any real non bodge solutions for this? None of the others ones seem to do it - is it an angle thing?

Sponsored Links
Strange one :eek: that thing @ the bottom is called a shoe .take it off and lay a piece of roof tile/slate in it`s place ;)

Thanks Nige, I did think of taking it off but just leaving it open, the drain is directly below so I'd have thought it would be OK to drop straight in?

So I take it this doesn't normally happen then?

The shoe controls the exit of rainwater, which will otherwise spin out of the bottom of a round downpipe and miss the gully.

The altrnative is to extend the pipe into the gully and then you wont need a shoe

Sponsored Links
It's square pipe if that makes any difference to the spinning?

I think I'll see if I can get a different grid with a hole in it and extend it down, knowing my luck I'll get a louder drip noise as the drip hits the water below!

My other thought was some sticky back foam, I've had some before about 5mm thick, if I cut a peice of that and stuck it on the bottom of the shoe it should dampen then noise??

Thanks Nige, I did think of taking it off but just leaving it open, the drain is directly below so I'd have thought it would be OK to drop straight in?

So I take it this doesn't normally happen then?
never heard of it happening - but do as you suggest - worry about extending/new grids IF it don`t work ;) square might be more difficult to get and you`ll have to buy 3 meters :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, I was left with the 'spare' pipe after the job was finished (approx 2m of downpipe) so that wouldn't be a problem would just need a joiner peice.

I'm still trying to find some sticky back foam at the moment - just can't remember where I saw it before!

I would be tempted to drop a length of string down the inside of the pipe, leaving it fixed just at the top. With luck, the drips will run down the string instead of falling down the middle of the pipe to hit the shoe at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back