New downpipe fitted. TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a newly refurbed house and found out later that it didn't have a gutter downpipe on the back. I have recently had someone in to fit a plastic down pipe but its making so much noise from the drips tapping on the bend near the bottom that i can hear it from inside the house and its driving me crazy.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Should the downpipe just run straight down the wall or should it be at an angle to stop this? Should there be a bend at the top to stop the rain dripping the full height of the house?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Sponsored Links
Well, without seeing a picture it's hard to make a judgment but there should be a swan-neck at the top from the gutter outlet to take the pipe close to the wall unless you have no soffit.

you shure its not expansion and contraction!!!!!

this can sound like dripping basicly the the plastic moves in little jumpy mooves every few seconds [can be ither or both guttering downpipe]
this is caused by the sun or hot and cold water
obviously in your case it wont be hot and cold water unless you have connected other connections to it

There was a post on here, about putting some thin rope inside the downpipe and this stops the drips by allowing water to run down the rope. Try the search

Sponsored Links
there should not be a bend in the d.p. near the bottom.

the d.p. should discharge straight into a gully or a drain bend. noise from striking a subterranean drain bend is hardly audible.

the d.p. should discharge straight into a gully or a drain bend. noise from striking a subterranean drain bend is hardly audible.

Unless he means a shoe but I must admit it doesn't sound like it

Unless he means a shoe but I must admit it doesn't sound like it

Its gotta be a shoe.

The rope thing works as woody says otherwise just take the shoe off and maybe put a straight connector on the bottom providing the drain grid is right under the pipe and not forward a bit.

(If that makes sense, lol) :oops:

Hi guys,

Sorry didnt explain it well last night. Its not the shoe. 3/4 of the way down there is a small bend section to take the downpipe over my fence then down onto the dirt at the side of house. I'll try to draw a diagram as if your looking stright at my back wall (imagine the bottom two lines further to the right), i cant get a photo taken at the moment.

l
l
l
l
l
\
l
l

The drips are coming from the bend section, i can hear the drips hitting off this section. Unfortunetly I cant get up on the roof to run the string down so is there any other ways to sort this?

Thanks

unfortunetly i can't do that as it needs to go over a fence

a bit of foam pipe insulation and push it up from the bottom or down from the top ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back