naff finish after painting tiles... advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted my kitchen tiles glossy black and couldnt really afford to retile so bought a tin of tile paint. Unfortunately before i had chance to start the job myself i went out and my other half stepped in and decided to help without reading the instructions...........
The result is that because the tiles were not cleaned (not even a quick wipe!) it looks awful! The tiles are patchy where the roller (yes roller when it clearly states use a brush!!) looks to have missed bits, there looks to be patches of kitchen grease on some and runs everywhere!

So, if i want to try and rectify this awful mess and end up with the lovely glossy black i imagined where do i start???
would a good sand over would remove any marks and provide me with a flat enough finish for me to do a 2nd coat? or does the whole lot have to be removed so i can start again from scratch?

Sponsored Links
Best to remove it if you can, it'll be weeks before its dry/hard enough to sand down.... Nitromors or alternatively ( my method) use cellulose thinners (around £10 for 5L from an auto factors) on a coarse rag to wipe/rub the black gloss off (open all your windows!).. This will also de-grease the tiles
I apply a coat of 'Zinsser BIN' primer first followed by a coat or two of standard eggshell or gloss with a 4" sponge glossing roller

Sponsored Links
It works! its a good finish too .. make sure all your windows are open and worktops are covered. Stand the can(s) in warm water for 5 mins before use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back