nanny state - don't play with electrickery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so this do-gooder governement is going to stop us doing electric work. we're going to be forced to pay for a man to come in and fix us an extra socket.

are we going to comply with this? are we my arse!

this flippin lot will stop us playing with our gas next! :evil:

Sponsored Links
i agree. nxt theyll be sayin we cant do any plumbing

No one will be allowed to built their own house where they want

Sponsored Links
Unless living in a caravan pulled by a Merc, paying no income tax, or NI of course .... then you can buy any old bit of green belt and live there .. in a few years that land, by then residentialised will be worth a fortune ...
P

that's a thought.

how do you qualify to become a "traveller" and get all those priviledges?

i was thinking of qualifying as a sparky as anice liitle earner- but maybe a few tattoos, a big gold earring and a caravan will open up all sorts of money-making opportunities.

Ironically more people die each year from Ladder falls than electricity, whether caused by faulty wiring or not. You'll have to get a Ladder Man in next to clean your gutters and pay him a few hundred quid! After he has of course been on a goverment course and paid his £400 per year to be competent!!!!!!!!!!!

handyman2005 said:
Ironically more people die each year from Ladder falls than electricity, whether caused by faulty wiring or not. You'll have to get a Ladder Man in next to clean your gutters and pay him a few hundred quid! After he has of course been on a goverment course and paid his £400 per year to be competent!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard that window cleaners are already banned from using ladders unless they are one-man bands. I may be wrong (not unknown) but I believe that when working at a height of 2m+ you are required to wear a fall-arrestor... I'm wondering how long it will be before the first tragic accidental hanging occurs...

bobb said:
so this do-gooder governement is going to stop us doing electric work.

Well - they've already brought in laws to prevent us doing gas fitting work, or fitting a replacement window (unless we pay the local planning department £100), or putting in an extra 3pin socket, so it's maybe only a matter of time before we can't (legally) do any plumbing work or do any work on the car.

And "New" Labour are going to tax us on any profit we make on the sale of a house, whether we do it for a living or not.

All and sundry are allowed to service or not to / have service some of the most lethal weapons legally held by the general public, no requirement to follow manufacturers recommendations with regard to the machinery and a cursory 'test' only truly valid at the time of the tester signing the MOT cert. ... I give you the great Govn revenue earner 'the motor car' !! ;)

Out of interest does anyone know if other countries have any regs similar to part p.

Strange but all of the wiring work in my home took place before Jan 1st. Who is going to know any different?

Yep. The cast iron coal burning children eating fireplace I just installed has been there for years.

The wiring I'm about to do in my new bathroom was done over Christmas. Funny that, isn't it?

Got a window to fit soon as well, do you think I give a **** about some *******s regulation?

nstreet said:
Out of interest does anyone know if other countries have any regs similar to part p.

Strange but all of the wiring work in my home took place before Jan 1st. Who is going to know any different?

Many new accessories are being date coded at manufacture, i.e. 03/07/14 is stamped on my Wickes bathroom heater FCU mounting box, meaning 14th July 2003.

And on my MK Loft Socket, it says (08/2002) , August 2002 on the back, so it will not be long before the inspectors can easily detect new wiring work.

ahh but replacement of accessories isn't covered by part P only new work

most modifcations to existing cuircuits aren't notifiable either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back