Neat laminate Carpet transition options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my home office I am having new carpet fitted expect for the part of the office where the desk is.
Here there will be laminate.
Both the carpet and laminate will be a similar hue (light oak).
There will be a single straight 1.9m transition between carpet/laminate.

The 2 parts are being installed by different people.
The laminate is going down first and the carpet will be going down a week later.

Could you please suggest what is the best option to have an unobtrusive (wooden) transition between the 2 areas?
Anything the laminate fitter needs to "prep" at the edge ready for the carpet and the transition?

I have googled and found something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stikatak-...0822718215?pt=UK_Flooring&hash=item1e75a44307

or do I need something different?

Thank

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes, this is what you need. You can find a longer one though to avoid unnecessary joints. I've seen a similar one on ebay 2.7 m long.

Ask the laminate fitter to fit the track and cut the profile to size, the carpet fitter should be able to simply fit the profile when he fits the carpet for no extra charge.

I'm trying to avoid those - have them joining laminate in my house now and the wood effect wears off where you walk - after a year or so look a mess (lighter ones are worse - more obvious)
I tried to replace just the tops but they changed the design so I couldn't just pop off and replace ...ok carpet to laminate (you can get underneath to replace fixing bar) -but laminate to laminate - was impossible!

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to avoid those - have them joining laminate in my house now and the wood effect wears off where you walk - after a year or so look a mess (lighter ones are worse - more obvious)
I tried to replace just the tops but they changed the design so I couldn't just pop off and replace ...ok carpet to laminate (you can get underneath to replace fixing bar) -but laminate to laminate - was impossible!

If you get decent quality ones, you won't have a problem. Pergo profiles for example are the same quality top layer as their floors so they wear just as well. You could use a laminate profile made of alluminium, again, Pergo do a commercial range that could accomodate. Alternatively, companies like Gradus and Morleys will do very heavy wear commercial profiles for just this type of application. If you talk to your floor layer they will be able to advise. I would be wary of using a carpet feline/Z edge profile as they are'nt suitable for use with a laminate floor so be wary if you are recommended one of these.

Pretty sure mine are the same make as the ebay link - stikatak -(bought in B&Q )...
Shall stop hijacking ;) and start my own thread...

Pretty sure mine are the same make as the ebay link - stikatak -(bought in B&Q )...
Shall stop hijacking ;) and start my own thread...

Yep they are very much a product that will get you by, they are not of a particularly high quality.

Sorry I never did update this thread.
I emailed the Laminate company and they don't do accesories in the UK.
In the end the carpet fitter sourced a Quick Step plate - very difficult to colour match sadly and it was a bit of a compromise but is good quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back